[sword-devel] Copyrights and cash

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:29:51 -0500

Troy,

I hope it did not sound like I was criticizing the way you run the show
here. I appreciate all you guys have done and think you are doing an
outstanding job. My email was just to point out the possibilities of the
future and hopefully stir excitement for that direction.

As for module creation, are the tools you are referring to addvs and addld?
I read the documentation and while I do not mind working with command line
utilities I am still a little apprehensive to dive into trying to create a
module. I think Joe Christian wouldn't even think to try. Most
non-programmers would throw in the towel when they read things like, "simply
use your favorite scripting language to write a script..." I am not
complaining, just making an observation.

As I said in my email, I know that asking for a SwordWritter type program is
a little premature at this point. I might be completely off base, but if I
understand the OSIS developments, this is what I am talking about. How cool
would it be if an end user could use OpenOffice.org to create their
documents in a WYSIWYG type of environment. Then since OpenOffice.org's
native format is XML, it should not be difficult to convert the file to OSIS
and then to Sword. Or perhaps there is a way to extend OpenOffice.org to
save directly into OSIS.  There are a lot of possibilities.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org