[sword-devel] Standalone sword CD: possible?

David Trotz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:14:34 -0700

Dan Bertles wrote:

>Jaime,
>
>The CD should start and run just fine.  Sword does not affect the registry.
>I've never done an "install".  I just run the program.  You do have to be in the
>path where you run the program though.
>
>Dan
>
>Quoting "Jaime Herazo B." <jherazo@linuxfreemail.com>:
>

>>* Leon Brooks (leon@brooks.fdns.net) wrote:

>>>DemoLinux is your friend.
>>>
>>>    http://www.demolinux.org/
>>>
>>>Zero maintenance, zero configuration. Strip off the bits you don't need,
>>>

>>add a
>>

>>>Bible, data files, even a Windows EXE for those who want to complicate
>>>

>>their
>>

>>>lives, then crisp away!
>>>
>>>Cheers; Leon
>>>

>>Gotta check that, and Knoppix too :)
>>
>>So, the linux part is covered, and in a very nice way :)
>>
>>I just downloaded the windows version, but i'd have to reboot to check
>>it out. What i don't know is if it'd work to just copy the exes (and
>>all the related DLLs) in a directory on the CD, so that if the person
>>(or some autorun mechanism) runs it, it works. I mean, does it need to
>>be installed (registry entries and other things), or could it run
>>directly from the CD?
>>

>>---------------------------------------
>>Microsoft: Writing viruses has never been easier!
>>Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
>>Microsoft: Having a false sense of security was never so expensive
>>-----
>>Jaime Herazo Barrios                /"\
>>jherazo at linuxfreemail dot com    \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign
>>ICQ number: 14721935                 X  Against HTML Mail,
>>Yahoo! id: jherazo_1999             / \ and News Too
>>

>.

Yes, The run from CD should be fine for windows. If you have an official
Sword CD you would see that we have a run from cdrom option on the
cdstartup dialog. We do not use the registry but the good old fashioned
.ini type config files. The only registry call that is made is to allow
sword to catch links on web pages that are specifically for sword other
than that we have all the settings in .conf files. Be sure to look at
these and understand what each one does and include them with the
settings you want as default on your cdrom because once it is written
those settings are set in stone, so to speak And to add to that the
there is one limitation which is that preferences will not be saved on exit.
In Christ,
David Trotz
The Sword Project