[sword-devel] <compressed> Sword Modules -> RISC OS

W. Simpson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:44:18 -0000

Hi,

This may not be the right place to post this as, strictly speaking, this
e-mail isn't about The Sword. However, I think this is in keeping with the
'ethos' of the Sword Project, so bear with me :-)

I should like RISC OS users to be able to make use of the Bible texts freely
available for download at
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles. It is by
far the largest selection of translations in one place that I have seen
anywhere!

One suggestion I have heard from a Sword developer is to port The Sword to
RISC OS. I'm unable to do that (perhaps there are other RISC OS programmers
who might be able to, but are all too busy) .

I do have a RISC OS conversion tool which can put the verse numbers back
into the text (making it readable again), so it can be read in a text editor
or using a RISC OS Bible program, but some of the modules appear to deviate
from the architecture of, say, the KJV module. The RSV is one that comes to
mind - it isn't "locked", but it appears encrypted, and its contents appear
in the ZTEXT folder as opposed to the RAWTEXT folder. I presume it is
compressed.

It's modules like this one that cause problems. Could someone enlighten me
on how to decompress them (simpson.general@ntlworld.com), or is it vastly
difficult?

I suppose, in the end, you could say "tough, just use the Sword", and that's
fair enough, but I'm just asking the question all the same ;-)    -  I don't
want to distract anyone, but if someone has a few ideas they think might
help, I'd be interested to hear them.

Many Thanks,

W.Simpson