[sword-devel] Build problems with CVS

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:24:06 -0000

ok, I've now got the files up to date for current cvs. I'll start commiting the files that are
essential for building since they won't interfere with anything else. (configure.ac, empty NEWS
and AUTHORS, and many Makefile.am)

To build with this you will need automake 1.5 and autoconf 2.52 and libtool 1.4. The earlier
versions (that are with most linux distributions) will not work.

Run
aclocal;automake -a;autoheader;autoconf
generate files required for building

create a temporary build directory (optional, but stops the object files cluttering up your source
tree), say build
cd build
../configure <options>

Notes:
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
is the configure option for specifying what the new globalconfdir variable will be
Other configure options should be self-explanatory

Things incomplete/missing:
no makefiles for apps directory yet
makefiles in tests and utilities incomplete, will finish and add that later
if diatheke wants to use the new system it will need modified
need to make instructions for when new files/directories are added

currently the automake generated makefiles will overwrite the original ones. Make sure you
backup the originals, say to Makefile.sw e.g. with this script

#!/bin/sh
cp Makefile Makefile.sw
cp tests/Makefile tests/Makefile.sw
cp utilities/Makefile utilities/Makefile.sw

This script will copy the files back so you can build the old way.

#!/bin/sh
cp Makefile.sw Makefile
cp tests/Makefile.sw tests/Makefile
cp utilities/Makefile.sw utilities/Makefile

Will this be ok?

Since most people won't have automake 1.5 etc I guess it will be best to put copies of the files
that they generate into cvs even though they are relatively large. Yes?

Let me know of any problems,
Daniel

On 7 Jan 2002 at 11:00, Daniel Glassey sent forth the message:

> On 6 Jan 2002 at 13:01, Chris Little sent forth the message:

[stuff]