[sword-devel] Build problems with CVS

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:00:15 -0000

On 6 Jan 2002 at 13:01, Chris Little sent forth the message:

> > > I have the same kind of box.  I could'n't compile the CVS
> > either until
> > > Chris suggested that I go to several of the subdirectories and do a
> > > manual 'make clean' in them.  Then I could compile.  But, the
> > > libsword.a file is 19.3MB, not 1.6MB as the binary package
> > installed.
> > > Haven't figured out why, yet. JLK
> >
> > I had to do the same. But since 1.5.2 compiles fine there has
> > to be a problem
> > with the Makefiles.
> >
> > My idea is that my box is too fast for the Makefiles. Don't
> > laugh, with a
> > slower PC the same CVS compiled fine!
>
> It acts like it's a threading issue.  The problem is definitely more
> prominent on faster machines.  It also definitely occurs more frequently
> on computers running RH 7.1/7.2 (as compared to 7.0) -- which might mean
> our makefiles don't like some recent versions of make tools (ar
> perhaps).
>
> I don't think anyone really understands the problem, let alone the
> solution.  But I think we need to fix this for the 1.5.3 release.
>
> Also, there are reports of the same build errors with 1.5.2 and the
> makefiles have not changed very much since 1.5.2.
>
> Anyone feel like tackling this problem?

Funnily enough I was just getting onto this as I was getting the same problem with building debian
packages since I upgraded my machine!.
My automake patch generates a single makefile so it won't have any of these problems. It's in
cvs/sword in my home directory on crosswire for those that can access it. It's ready to be
checked in to cvs as soon as someone gives the word and it doesn't interfere with the current build
system.

Since I need it for the debian packages anyway I'll backport it to 1.5.2 as well and post a patch
later.

Daniel