[sword-devel] kjv2003: two splits needed?

Eeli Kaikkonen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:17:30 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Keith Ralston wrote:

> I'm not sure about slicing so thinly between semantics and syntax.

Meddling with semantics would be for experts only. With Greek/English
syntax we have to worry about only handful of these difficulties. With
semantics we would have ten discussions like this for every verse. This
project is quite mechanic, but semantics is always interpretation. I
would be interested in taggin real greek syntax (like whole sentences,
relations of them etc.) but it would take couple of years of real
studying first.

>  I agree
> with the general approach we've taken to the article.  Our approach assumes
> the use of the article with a substantive.  This is only a fraction of the
> article's usage.  I do believe the article to have more flexibility than our
> rule allows.

We must remember we are talkign about giving a tool for English reader
to connect Greek/English words. Make it simple. Only rarely we have to
take up a stand about syntax.

>  We should tag the exceptions.

But how? In this case (Rev 1:9), would it be best to tag "ho kai" to
"who also am"? It would be quite neutral about interpretion. At least
more neutral than tagging the article to the relative pronoun.

  Sincerely Yours,
      Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko@paju.oulu.fi> Suomi Finland