[sword-devel] The Quran & BoM (was Glossary vs. Dictionary)

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:40:05 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Joshua Holman wrote:

> > The question is whether we, as a Christian ministry, should be
> > distributing copies of the Quran or the Book of Mormon or such.
> >

> I know the OLB has the Quran on its CD but disclaims it's contents as
> follows:
>
> The KORAN  module is primarily intended for those doing evangelical
> missionary work among the Moslem people or for those who wish to know
> more about what the Moslems  believe.  The authors of the Online Bible
> do not endorse anything written in the Koran  unless it agrees
> completely with the infallible Word of God, the Bible.

I have quite a few problems with this statement, in terms of content the
and attitude that it represents.  That's not to mention the antiquated
spellings of Qur'an & Muslim that I consider insulting.  But I understand
your point (and I'm not accusing you of anything, I realize you're copying
from OLB).

> I suggest we do the same for the BoM and the Quran. If we with-hold these
> texts, we could be charged with censorship of other beliefs and could be
> sued by a Mormon or Muslim that feels that way.

My concern is that we would be making our work useful to Mormons & Muslims
& ....  We can withhold anything we like.  Imagine how many people would
be suing us for not providing the NIV if your suggestion were correct. :)
Besides, we HAVE been accused of censoring other beliefs in our software,
and that's correct because we do, intentionally.

I'm less concerned about apocryphal/pseudepigraphal literature that is
either Christian in nature or profitable for providing biblical
background but that does not support other religions or cults.

--Chris