[sword-devel] Book stuff

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:03:47 -0700

I asked an ebook publisher what sorts of things he felt we should include when we support books and he made to following suggestions:

1. Definitely include a topical index feature.  This is critical.  Think about it, who reads more than a page or two off a computer screen.  But with a true topical index the user can look up the topic they are studying and suddenly find where there subject is dealt with in the whole library.  A topically indexed devotional book starts to function like a dictionary or encyclopedia.  If you want to do this the way it should (at least by my opinion) you should have different index groups (a. User created index - they can index any book in the software; b. an index for all the pages in the book - like a normal index found it the back of a book; c. an index just for articles/chapters - this would be different from b. because it would only cover the main topics covered by the article/chapter (this is necessary because it tells people that you have a long section dealing with the topic, where in b. it may just be two-three paragraphs.

2. Have an option to integrate MS Word as the note editor.  This way you could give people a professional level note taking capability.