[sword-devel] Calculator E-Book Port

David Overcash sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 23:27:29 -0500

Okay, I know I'm probably not the best known developer on this team, as I
have yet to even edit some of the source code for this project (I have
looked at it extensively though).  The reason for that being that it's a bit
above my head...  However, I think I stumbled upon another possible port of
this project.

Some of you may be familiar with the popular line of Graphing Calculators
from Texas Instruments.  You would have probably heard them called TI-82,
TI-83, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, or TI-92.  They are very popular in schools
these days because they are used for their mathematical capabilities of
going as far as to solving equations on their own (Ahh, it helps so much in
tests).  Anyways, I recently started lookin at E-Books on these calculators
(They can hold about 1.5 books on their memory, depending on the size of the
book)  And while I was browsing a large archive of e-books to download, I
came accross a KJV version of the Bible.

So, I got an idea that maybe we could try to form a small frontend for the
TI-89 / TI-92 (They both run on the same asm code).  I will probably be able
to (And have to) do all the programming for this, because I realize that
many of you probably don't use these calculators.  I think, also, it would
be a very good investment of this projects time, as I would distribute it
greatly in my school, and over the net...

I need to know a few things, however: (Please forgive me if these are stupid
questions, I still don't quite understand the file format for writing texts)
- Would it be possible to get a text down below the size of 400 KB by
including the very smallest ammount of tags possible in the documents?
- What tags are we currently using?
- Could anyone else help on this project? (Has a TI-89 calculator)

--- As you see the structure for searching now in already present frontends,
would it be possible to write an asm coded program that would search through
these texts?

-Dave Overcash
webmaster@eurosoccerclub.net
ICQ: 40145621