[sword-devel] (Fwd) Re: [sword-support] missing file

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:22:41 +0100

Hi .............

I just answered the following.  I've forwarded it here because I can identify
with the initial confusion as to where to find what, and what it might do
when you've downloaded it.  Maybe a simple guide to software ought to
find it's way onto the opening page of the Sword site?

To:             	matthias <mrvulcan@swbell.net>

On 27 Mar 2001, at 22:19, matthias wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about them though. To run Bibletime, I must
> download the modules, right?

I'm a bit new to the project - I could be wrong, but I think Bibletime is
statically linked to the Sword library - so you don't need anything else
other than Bibletime and your chosen texts and commentaries.  What
you have is the complete development package for Sword.  It includes
code for Unix and Windows.  There are plenty of test and utility
executables that you can compile to get to know how the stuff works if
you want to do development work.  But the front end stuff is minimal.
There are some commandline programs, and a simple gui frontend that
ought to compile OK with what you have already.  There is a QT based
one that might - depending what you have installed - you probably won't
meet some of the dependencies for that one. And there is a Gnome one
that will definitely need a lot of Gnome development stuff before you will
be able to do anything with it.

The Linux frontends are developed separately - there is GnomeSword and
Bibletime.  Both use the Sword library and the Sword modules. Bibletime
is KDE based - and likely to be more easily compatible with the
Mandrake distribution - that's why I mentioned it.

If you take Bibletime as a Mandrake RPM, it will expect the modules
(bibles, commentaries etc) to be in place below /usr/share/sword and the
conf.d directory contains the .conf files for all the modules.  The
description within the .conf file for any module tells you where it ought to
be.  You may fine one or two modules as RPMS and they may go in the
right place - but the easiest and quickest thing for you may be to
download the raw text modules and install them yourself.  All the best
with the study

Every blessing .....
Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of Arnold United Reformed Church,