[sword-devel] modules for debian

Ivan E. Moore II sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:52:16 -0700

> I'm trying to sort out exactly which modules would be considered as
> core and would be necessary for a base install of sword. Not every
> module can be in Debian, just a few, so we need to decide which
> ones.
>
> These are my thoughts:

Personally I think this is the *only* one that should go in.  It gives
functionality without being tied to a specific religion.  And it's small!
For a distribution that's good. :)

> Personal commentary - so you can write notes (~40k)

While definatly good choices I truely think these would be better served
sitting in the master repository.  Maybe with a installer or proper docs
pointing users here.

> 1 commentary - Matthew Henry Concise (~1.4MB)
> KJV - it's standard (~2.2MB, less without Strongs ref.)
> 1 more modern translation - WEB (~1.4MB)
> Strongs references - Standard greek and Hebrew references
> (~800k)
> Dictionary - Eastons or Naves or both (~1MB and ~700k)
>
> There's also a copyright issue. I assume the KJV with Strongs can't
> be included because the Strongs formatting is copyrighted by Larry
> Pierce. Is there an alternative version?
>
> Because there's already a couple of other programs that have the
> KJV it might not be allowed in anyway though.

and also keeps the legal issues out of the distribution. :)

just my 2cents

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II