[sword-devel] diatheke was su

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:13:00 +1000

"Don A. Elbourne Jr." wrote:

> OK. Thanks.
>
> Actually, I don't know if I need to do su, because I am just wanting to run
> Diatheke on my server. If I'm understanding how things work, I don't even
> need to run "make install" after I have already run "make." Is this correct?
> After running make I have the libsword.* files.
>
> I then wen on to compile diatheke. I ran make and it seemed to work fine. I
> moved diatheke, libsword.so, and libsword.a to my /cgi-bin/.

Don't bother with libsword.a.  Once the program is built, its job is
finished.

> But when I try
> to run diatheke, I get:
>
> ./diatheke: error in loading shared libraries: libsword.so: cannot open
>
> In my limited knowledge of things, I'm assuming that libsword.so is looking
> for a "shared object file" and that it or diatheke can not find it. What is
> it, whet is it and is there a config file somewhere that I can change to let
> diatheke know where to look?

Diatheke is the program doing the looking, and libsword.so is what it
can't find.  You can help it find libsword.so by putting the directory
where it lives in /etc/ld.so.conf and running 'ldconfig -v', or by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include that directory.  I recommend the
former, as it is less error-prone.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear