[bt-devel] Re: [sword-devel] InstallMgr

Michael Rempel sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:40:59 -0800

> This is true.  Your solutions also illustrate the complexity of the
> problem and (I think) illustrate why it is outside the scope of
> InstallMgr.  If you feel moved to work on this, please do, perhaps basing
> work on the gnutella or a similar protocol with existing open source
> clients.

Chris, Where do I dig up docs on InstallMgr, and your key management for
versions?

Config management and distribution nuances need to be designed up front,
even if the code is done multi-version. AFAIK existing protocols will not
cut it. Since we are talking about a delivery system that in and of itself
will not cost money, open source is not a definitive requirement. It may be
desireable anyway, but the choice is not forced.

The transfer itself can be FTP. What takes work is managing the web of
connectivity for files and version keys.

Michael