[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies applied to translation

Leon Brooks sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:07:12 +0800

On Friday 21 December 2001 00:17, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>>  Single translation line texts dont have that problem. I can say that the
>> Living Bible is less than scholarly, and show you why, but your notion
>> leaves no way of saying much of anything. If you cant fix the text when
>> it is wrong, or badly interpreted it is a bad idea. Now do you see the
>> smoking gun?

> I don't see how you went from having a customizable translation to one
> that can't be fixed. I would hope that you would have hundreds of very good
> orthodox (notice the small "o") scholars pouring over it to insure the
> quality (and thus to "tag" part of it like CVS code and turn it into a
> printed Bible).

Based on the criticism, ``Democracy is based on the assumption that a million
men are smarter than one,'' what happens in the cases where they are either
all wrong on a point, or can't agree on a point?

For those cases, a fork-able translation is a boon.

Cheers; Leon