[sword-devel] OT: can you be a Christian evolutionist?

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:21:20 -0800

At 09:13 AM 12/20/2001 -0800, John Gardner wrote:
>No matter how often or how long or violently
>you shake a bucket of bolts you'll NEVER get a car!

In fact, the longer you shake them the _less_ chance you have of ever
getting a car, because they will grind themselves to powder if they don't
become a car relatively quickly.  More time does not mean a greater chance
it means less chance, since the more time you give it the more it evens
out, more entropy.  Therefore it can be "proved" that instantaneous
creation (or at least an evolution that has one or more very quick spurts)
is far more likely than a slow drawn out evolution over eons.  That's why
you can't find lots of missing links.  Note: "proved" is in quotes because
scientific principles never really prove anything, only disprove things, we
just have to assume that what's left must be right (but it still might not
be, some future experiment may disprove anything at any time).  There is no
such thing as certainty in science!  ;o)

Dave