[sword-devel] GNU and OS ideologies and indulgences

Timothy R. Butler sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:49:09 -0600

> The democratic process is vital to writting software like SWORD. But it
> doesnt make great translation. Similarly the Wendys Bible (have it your
> way) is hardly an honest approach. All you propose is re-arranging the
> already available texts to make yet another fast food mess. Translation is

  Well, I agree, you shouldn't rearrange already available texts - for
copyright and accuracy issues. The proposal is to get people with a good
theological background (IMO, this "project" should accept people like myself
that aren't qualified) to create a new traslation in the open source method.

  I personally think this would work. Who is more dedicated to their work - a
non-Christian college student in Finland that wants to create an operating
system similar to MINIX, or a Christian who has a passion for Scriptures? I'd
say it's the latter - and that's why I think this can succeed.

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler | Universal  Networks | http://www.uninet.info
tbutler@uninetsolutions.com          ICQ: 12495932 AIM: Uninettm
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com