[sword-devel] Ideas for using ThML for general books

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:59:34 +1000

"Don A. Elbourne Jr." wrote:

> In addition to all the classics Harry has at our disposal, I can envision
> pastors, teachers, and writers being able to format their own works into
> ThML and distributing them from their web sites or on CD without having to
> pay the exuberant royalty fees to anyone for doing so.

Does that mean they are very joyous royalty fees?  :-)

> I know that users of
> the commercial Bible software packages have been clamoring for years for
> self publishing features. I understand why these companies have been slow to
> provide this functionality,

<FlameBait comment="Let's see if this works...  :-)">

Because they're interested in their bottom line ($$$) and pushing the agendas
of major publishing houses ($$$) more than their users.

Fancy to rent your books, anyone?  For a reasonable fee, of course.  Check out
the beta release of Logos' new software "Titus"
<http://www.logos.com/titus/xbeta> and you'll see an expiration date on your
books.  It's not enabled for books you've bought under a previous Logos
version, but it sure will be in the future.  What a crock!

</FlameBait>

> but none of those obstacles exist in a
> non-commercial Open source model environment.
>
> If the Sword Project can meet these needs, it will make a lot of people very
> happy. I know there is a lot to be done, but I see the potential. While I
> might not be able to help much with C++ code, I will be an enthusiastic
> cheerleader for these efforts. I think this is a worthy project that holds
> great possibilities. And I believe God wants to bless it.

Amen, brother.  Preach on!

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear