[sword-devel] Ideas for using ThML for general books

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:18:30 -0500

I would just like to add that I am very excited about these discussions. I
don't think we should underestimate what we have here. I've thought for
quite sometime that ThML needed a rich desktop viewer. I'd love to se a free
open source Logos/QuickVerse-like interface for an open standard like ThML.
I think when this is done Harry will be surprised at how many more
volunteers will jump on the band-wagon to get ThML documents validated and
ready for use. The CCEL is great now, but can you imagine the whole thing
being integrated into a fast searchable Logos-like interface? For free?

In addition to all the classics Harry has at our disposal, I can envision
pastors, teachers, and writers being able to format their own works into
ThML and distributing them from their web sites or on CD without having to
pay the exuberant royalty fees to anyone for doing so. I know that users of
the commercial Bible software packages have been clamoring for years for
self publishing features. I understand why these companies have been slow to
provide this functionality, but none of those obstacles exist in a
non-commercial Open source model environment.

If the Sword Project can meet these needs, it will make a lot of people very
happy. I know there is a lot to be done, but I see the potential. While I
might not be able to help much with C++ code, I will be an enthusiastic
cheerleader for these efforts. I think this is a worthy project that holds
great possibilities. And I believe God wants to bless it.

humbly by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org