[sword-devel] Quick Question

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:06:31 +0100

Hi ............

On 20 Apr 2001, at 21:23, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> > vpl2mod only works (at present) when the text file for input has proper
> > verse references at the beginning of each line,
> This is not entirely accurate.  If to use in the first mode-- no verse
> ref prepended-- there must be EXACTLY the number of KJV verses of lines per
> file, plus a few extra headers as described below:

It was me.  Guilty, Troy.  Sorry.  But, so far, I haven't looked at anything
that does conform to the KJV order.  I think I'm right in saying that nearly
all modern translations concatenate small groups of verses for
readability.  Bibles like the NJB present an even more serious problem
because their numbering system is based on the Sepuagint.  I've said
enough about that already.

The fix I hacked in was because vpl2mod as is, won't accept a verse
reference followed by nothing but a linefeed.  In the NJB this happens for
the first time at: II Kings 11:6, and there are a whole lot more instances.
The line in the parseVreg function:
case 4: 	if (*buf == ' ') {*buf = 0;	return ++buf;}
causes vpl2mod to cough and spit out a part done module.  The code I
put in was simply a catch for that instance when there is only a linefeed.
I've now used Chris's version with the fix that stops concatenation of
multiple verses going to the wrong reference.  I still needed to put my
lines of code into that version for the same reason (Chris?).

Bless you,

Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of Arnold United Reformed Church,
Nottingham - see http://www.arnold-urc.supanet.com for our church homepages).