[RE: [sword-devel] Where I stand :)]

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:41:37 -0700

This is a bit of a guess, but I believe the original version is in
copyright which will expire in 2018, and the version we commonly see is
also in copyright which will expire in 2030. The original was first
published in 1923 and I believe that was in England. So, even if it had
fallen out of copyright because of a missing copyright notice it would have
been copyright restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act, for a term
of 95 years, to 2018. The first US version seems to be the Dodd Mead
version which is (c) 1935 it would also have a term of 95 years, to 2030.
The LOC has a copy of that version and a copy of a Simpkin,
Marshall,  version from London 1933. I don't see any contact info for
Oswald Chambers Publications Assn., Ltd.. They seem to be into distributing
Christian literature around the world. Perhaps they would be glad to see it
freely distributed electronically.  Myutmost.org and Blue Letter Bible seem
to have gotten permission.

Jerry Hastings

http://www.oswaldchambers.co.uk/oswald.htm
    "Oswald died of complications following an operation to remove his
appendix in 1917. "
    "My Utmost for His Highest" was first published in 1923..."

myutmost.org and Blue Letter Bible
    The text was taken from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.
    (c) 1935 by Dodd Mead & Co.,
    renewed (c) 1963 by the Oswald Chambers Publications Assn., Ltd.,
    and is used by permission of Discovery House Publishers,
    Box 3566, Grand Rapids MI 4950l. All rights reserved.

Library of Congress
    LC Control Number: 32024323
    Personal Name: Chambers, Oswald, 1874-1917. [from old catalog]
    Published/Created: London, Simpkin, Marshall, ltd. [1933]
    Related Titles: My utmost for His Highest.