[sword-devel] Re: locked modules and Copyrite and E-Sword

Geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 08:24:23 -0800

I agree that having the locked modules on the same download page mixed in
with the rest of the unlocked modules is confusing and also time
consuming for users and members of this list.
I went to the e-sword web site and looked at how he handles locked
modules. He has them on a seperate Beta page.
I also went to his registration page and found the wxplanation below
about why to register. I think it makes sense. Maybe we should have a
registration page for the Sword to be able to present this kind of info
to the copyrite holders.
It would even have more impact if we could present it along with the list
e-sword is gathering if that kind of agreement can be made.

TEXT FROM E-SWORD
"The reason for registration is two-fold. First, there will quickly come
a time when the available resources (Bibles, commentaries and
dictionaries) are insufficient for many users needs. I will need to
approach various publishers with requests for distributing their
resources with e-Sword. Maybe, with a long list of users, "we" can
convince them to allow their resources to be made available to us.
Second, as more resources become available and enhancements to e-Sword
are made I can notify you of these improvements."

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:23:10 -0800 "Chris Little" <chrislit@chiasma.org>
writes:
> This has been brought up before, but not in fairly long while.  I'm
> beginning to side with those people who think the locked modules
> should not  be on the webpage for download along with all the other
(free)
> modules.
> I understand both the side of those who want to take them down because
> we may  not have the legal right to post them (even locked) and they
just
> cause  confusion of our users.  I also understand the other side that
> reasons that  having the modules posted allows people to see some of
the work yet
> to be done in writing to publishers for permission.  I would suggest
that,
> maybe when we finalize a new site design, we segregate locked modules
from
> free modules entirely.  We could keep them listed on a separate page to

> show users what they could get to use, if they wanted to do a little
> letter writing.  Locked module issues continue to be a source of
confusion
> for users, judging by their feedback & questions.

> --Chris

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.