[sword-devel] Web interface?

Brook Humphrey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 06:50:40 -0700

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > I stand corrected I just read the license. However that still does not
> > effect the code we are producing. Allot of the php projects on the net
> > are released under gpl. Basicly it states that php can't be modified and
> > distributed.
>
> You do not understand the GPL. :)  While yes if you do a project w/ PHP
> you can do it under whatever license you want.
>
> HOWEVER, you are proposing writing an application that interfaces with
> another application.  The nature of the GPL is that if you use a GPL
> applications code your code too MUST be GPL.  Since I believe
> SWORD is GPL this affects how you can license products using it.  However,
> since SWORD is an API of sorts it would depend on how SWORD was used.
>
> -Derek
Ah right you are refering to sword being gpl. Still PHP the programing
language even though it is not gpl, doese not effect the code we produce
if we decide to make our aplication gpl. If there is a problem we can
license it under lgpl. The is the way allot of the kde programs are
licensed. They are linked against qt so they cannot be released as gpl
but they can be released under lgpl.