[sword-devel] Web interface?

John Keiser sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:29:13 -0600

Excellent ... this is a great start for what I was looking for.  Thanks.

I am looking at making a web-based Bible system which allows discussions on
verses and chapters, allows people to share "footnotes" and make pages
linking to/from the verses on the site ... sort of like a personal Bible
being shared around, highlighted and written in by a thousand people.
Except without as much clutter, and with a lot more sharing.

More about that in another email.

I was planning on doing it from scratch if I had to, but SWORD seems like it
will make it a lot easier and a lot more functional, too.

>  It could use a
> makeover if anyone's feeling bored. :)

It would be nice to make a Perl interface to SWORD (for efficiency), so if
no one has done that I will take a look.  System calls are no fun if you can
avoid them.  I may need some help there, not yet being familiar with the
SWORD interface, but hopefully it will not be hard.

One question to start with: can the SWORD library be built dynamically?
Does the dynamic library depend on any GUI toolkit?

Could I see that script?  And again, do you think that SWORD is the place I
should be looking for a base?

Thanks again,

--John