[sword-devel] Working on a STEP Reader for SWORD

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 03 Jun 2000 08:15:20 +1000

Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> On Friday, 2 June, 2000 22:20:46, Paul Gear <paulgear@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > "Trandahl, Steve" wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to create a module for Sword that would allow it to read books
> >> in the STEP format.
> >
> > ...  There are good specs, though.  CrossWire has a mirror of
> > the STEP site, since theirs has been down for a while:
> > http://www.crosswire.org/bsisg/.  Start at the 'Info for Software
> > Developers' section.
>
> When I looked at the mirror back in February (I think) the documentation
> files were there but I could not open them. I tried Word 6 (Wiindows 3.1),
> Word 6 (Mac System 7) and Word 95 (WIndows 95). Nothing would open these
> .doc files. :-( In case things have changed I'm grabbing fresh copies; if
> these work I'll report back. If they work for Steve (Trandahl) then I'll be
> interested to know how he got them to display.

I just opened the specification (STEP 1.1.doc) OK in AbiWord 0.7.8 for
Linux.  Its M$ Word handling is not that great, so the file must be
pretty OK.

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear