[sword-devel] John Gill

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 23:58:34 -0700

Bob, I really appreciate the software you're writing and the way you're
being open and explaining the details of how things work directly from the
horse's mouth.  But you don't need the defensive attitude.  A good work
will show itself without our rigorous defence.  Most people with their head
screwed on straight know it costs to do things and people need to eat and
clothe their families, etc.. A workman is worthy of their hire, ye shall
know them by their fruits, etc... Lots of Biblical references to support
this... ;-)  If someone chews you out for doing the Lord's work, God will
be your defence.  Is it your work or the Lords?  Thank you! and keep up the
good work, please!  ;-)

I volunteer some of my time for an online organization that offers some
free some low cost web hosting and other services to qualifying Christian
organizations, churches, schools, etc...  Occasionally some person will
complain bitterly about the low cost portions we offer, exclaiming about
how high and unreasonable $30/yr domain hosting fees are when the basic web
site is free, etc...  Usually after a little discussion I offer to donate
$30 out of my own pocket to their local church if their church board has a
big problem with it... You know what?  I've never had anyone take me up on
that offer yet.  Most people realize how silly the arguments are and how
low of a cost it really is at that point I suspect.  ;-)

Free software has its place, and so does commercial software.  Thank you
for showing your support and interest in both.

Dave