[sword-devel] Introducing myself

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:15:36 -0700

At 12:35 PM 1/4/2000 -0600, Stephanie Hopkins wrote:

>Noone knows what the licensing of the database will be, so I can't answer
>this question at this point.  Sorry.

In an open source project like this we need to be careful with licensing.
Still, support can be added for modules that are commercial, but people are
not as inclined to freely invest time developing things that can not be
freely used. Also, important is that the method used, MdF, not be
restricted by patents and such. I am guessing that the MdF method has no
use restriction, and anyone can build around it. Is that correct?

>These two would definitely be prerequisites for including such databases in
>SWORD.  Other skills might be needed.

Thanks for the information.

Jerry