[sword-devel] Introducing myself

Stephanie Hopkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:35:02 -0600

Jerry Hastings wrote:

> I (Ulrik Petersen) wrote:

>>The database will be part of
>>SIL's "Bible-display-and-search" program, BART (short for Biblical
Analysis
>>and Research Tool) which is aimed at Bible translators, scholars studying
>>the original languages, and seminary students.
>
>Some of the things at SIL can be freely used by others. Will the database
>be something that could be used in the Sword?

Noone knows what the licensing of the database will be, so I can't answer
this question at this point.  Sorry.

>>But if you have any questions, please feel free to ask
>>either on the list or off the list.
>
>If people want to provide support for your database, or something like it,
>in Sword, where should they start? What skills are needed?

Well, in my e-mail I talked about two databases:

1) A Hebrew syntactic database developed in Amsterdam at the Free
University, and
2) A Greek syntactic database which we are developing within SIL.

Both databases are similar in their structure (as seen from the viewpoint of
the programmer).  They both employ a methodology for storing text and
information about that text called "MdF" or "Monads dot Features".  I shall
post another message to the list about MdF, but let me just mention here
that a good understanding of the MdF model (it's a text database model) is
necessary for understanding these two databases.

Secondly, one might need (for making a search engine and/or display of the
search results) a good understanding of the linguistic assumptions made in
the two databases, as well as a good understanding of which questions a
linguist or Bible scholar would want to ask of the text.

These two would definitely be prerequisites for including such databases in
SWORD.  Other skills might be needed.

Blessings,

Ulrik