[sword-devel] New Download JSP

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:26:23 +0000

"Troy A. Griffitts" wrote:

> > This is quite a serious issue - it means kicking off multiple downloads is messy
> > and time-consuming.
>
> Well, it's not too bad.  The name just 'defaults' to SwordMod.zip.  It
> doesn't mean you can't change it when prompted by your browser for
> location to save the file.  Any suggestions?

Surely JSP can specify the name.  If not, might be time to investigate PHP...

> > This might be an improvement, but it still isn't as nice as InstallMgr which
> > will do all the installing for me and everything.  There would also be an
> > issue of transfer interruption if someone decided to download a couple
> > hundred megs of modules only to have it die two thirds of the way through
> > transfer.
>
> Yeah, you're right.  It may be an easy task to make InstallMgr handle
> passive ftp.  Not sure about http, though.  I'm hoping to get DEB and
> RPM downloads also working with the new download page.  This would give
> users a little more native means for install.  This is especially useful
> for non-X UNIX installs.

Is there a Windoze version of GNU wget?  It does it all for you: proxies, multiple
protocols, transfer resumption, date stamp checking - the works.  I use it whenever i
want a copy of a large portion of a web or ftp site (like Red Hat package updates).

PDG