[sword-devel] New Download JSP

The Schmidts sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 18:00:12 -0500

OK,
   This response may be a tad bit late, but. . . It'd be really nice if you could modify
the servlet to report the file size of the file to the browser so I'd know how large the
file I'm downloading is ;-)
Also, about the "Swordmod.zip" thing, this is going to be a sort of ugly hack, but if
nothing else, couldn't you use some sort of scheme where the servlet copies itself to the
correct module name, send the browser a "Location: " header to the new copy, and when the
copy is done executing, it deletes itself?  It'd be nice to find a more elegant solution,
of course, and, perhaps, if one studied the http protocol more than I have, one might find
a more elegant solution ;-)
Also, I assume in all this that you are trying to avoid JavaScript (i.e. the way
download.com, etc, initiate the download)?

Jeff Schmidt

Personally, I'd like to see the option of being able to use ftp if one wanted.  E.g., use
install manager the way one used to, or use the web site/ JSP download if one needs to.