[sword-devel] Tyndale and Powis Smith Bibles

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:17:06 -0800

> Also one last question. I have at my disposal a tyndale new testament and
> copy of the bible an american translation edited by powis smith copyrite
1930
> something. Would these be acceptable for inclusion?

Do you actually have these in electronic format???  I had pretty much given
up hope of ever finding an electronic edition of Tyndale's NT and would love
to see it get put into SWORD format.

I'm pretty sure Tyndale would have fallen out of copyright, but I don't know
about the Powis Smith edition.  I'm curious to know whether any of you are
aware of copyright law extending in some manner to the producers of an
electronic edition.  If I type in a book that has fallen in the public
domain, do I own a copyright on the electronic edition or does it remain in
the public domain?  I had believed the latter but have seen some people
claiming copyright on electronic editions based solely upon the fact that
they did the typing.

--Chris Little