[osis-core] Alternat text

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:37:14 -0500

> We talked about but did not conclude anything regarding alternant or
> "tentative" text.
>
> Alternant endings to Mark and other places where alternant text is
> places in the main flow of the text.
>
> Can we find a solution for this one?

Sure, don't encode alternate endings. :-)

Seriously, looked at the NIV, which separate the alternate ending with a
bar across the column and a note that reads: "[The earliest manuscripts
and some other ancient witnesses don't have Mark.16-9-20.]"

So, looks like an addition <div>, since it is clearly setoff from the
principal text. The portion that reads: "[The earliest...]" looks like a
note to me. Does display inline, which is odd but I don't know of any
reason why that could not be done.

Since the alternate endings are well known, don't we know that a
reference to Mark.16.19 or higher is a reference to a non-standard
ending of Mark?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick