[osis-core] <l> types

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:26:46 -0500

> Patrick,
>
> Do think it makes sense to add the line types that Jim Albright had for
> poetry lines in TE.
>
> refrain
> interlude
> doxology
>
> I am not really clear what the meanings of these really are but they are
> the first set meaningful line types I have seen.

OK, tell me how a doxology is a line type?

Defined in at www.m-w.com as: "a usually liturgical expression of praise
to God"

So how does that translate into a line type? Same question for interlude?

I am somewhat more sympathetic to refrain but refrain implies that there
is some larger structure that contains the refrain. Like in a song, you
have the verses (non-Bible sense) that all share a refrain. Thus you have:

<song>
<verses>
<verse></verse>
<verse></verse>
<verse></verse>
</verses>
<refrain></refrain>
</song>

At least one way to show the relationship of all the verses to the refrain.

Could be more verbose and do:

<song>
<verses>
</verses>
</song>

Which would be required if the refrain changes after each verse of the song.

TEI never defines what the "type" of a line is so no guidance there.

Not necessarily opposed but are we saying the purpose of a line, to be a
line of praise or response (refrain) as a purpose is sufficient to
markup up a line as a particular type? How am I going to make that
judgment? What you see as a refrain, I may see as simply another line of
text. How to we reconcile those views?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick