[osis-core] Identification of deutero-canonical material

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:06:39 -0800

Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Chris,
>
>> USFM provides \dc, \fdc, and \xdc for marking deutero-canonical
>> material, notes related to deutero-canonicals, and cross-references to
>> deutero-canonical books respectively.
>>
>> In most of these cases, <seg type="deuterocanonical">...</seg>, would
>> be a good solution.  Identifying deutero-canonical books/sections
>> might require a new <div> type.
>>
>> The canonical value would not be sufficient to handle all of these
>> cases since, whether it refers to proto-canonical or deutero-canonical
>> material, a note is always not canonical.
>

> The notes from Dallas indicate:
>
>> global "editions" attribute = "NMTOKENS" for suppression/inclusion of
>> portions of texts. But required if used to be used
>> consistently. Default behavior, if marked, make appropriate choice,
>> default is to include or if not instructions about the NMTOKEN,
>> include.
>

> Does that solve the problem of \dc, \fdc, and \xdc?

Looks good to me.  I think we should include in the manual an exmaple
that specifically suggests using a standardized value such as
"deuterocanonical" since this is a common use, worth quasi-standardization.

> BTW, is the function of \xdc to allow removal of references that
> otherwise occur in a work when deutero-canonical material is removed?

If I understand your question correctly, then yes.  \xdc marks
cross-references to deutero-canonical books.  If deutero-canonical
material is not rendered, then neither are cross-references to that
material.

--Chris