[osis-core] User Manual Comments - Sections 1-13

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:14:50 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C3F52E.209544E0

All,

I apologize for submitting this after the deadline.  Things in my life
have not gone as planned since the OSIS meeting in TX.  Please accept my
apologies.

These are comments related to sections 1-13 in the user manual.  If you
are

General: The user manual is focused on Bible texts.  While it is
important to give Bible text the central focus, we may want to provide
"focus" sections in addition to the sections that apply generally and
the alphabetical listing of elements and attributes.

Examples of "focus" sections:
Bibles
Sermons
Bible Studies
Lectionaries
Devotionals
Commentaries

I think this would help people see the different applications.
If we don't do different "focus" sections it might be helpful to provide
both a Bible text example AND a non-Bible text example for each element
use.

General: OSIS is not always followed by "TM"

1 Introduction...
The sentence:
Welcome to the OSIS (Open Scriptural Information StandardT) User's
Manual. OSIS is a set of XML structures that can be used to produce
Bibles, commentaries, and related texts that can be easily interchanged
with other users, formatted as HTML, PDF, Postscript or any other
desired format, and searched on any personal computer.

could be confused to be read that for interchange that you have to
format as HTML, ...

2 Getting Started
Is the plug for XMetal ("and many are difficult to use (though XMetalT
is a notable exception, and not very expensive).") useful.

3 Some authoring tools
XSL-FO is more a rendering than authoring topic.
4 Your First OSIS Document
Update the <header> values to reflect the OSIS 2.1 direction for
<identifier type="OSIS">, <refSystem>, etc.
5. XML and OSIS declarations
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace
osisCore.2.0.1.xsd"
should be:
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.0.1.xsd"
(OR .osisCore.2.1.xsd if we are planning this related to the OSIS 2.1
release)
   <osisText osisIDWork="CEV" osisRefWork="Bible" lang="en"> is
different from the example above

In "The work element that identifies the work being encoded should be
the first work element, if the text has more than one.", there would be
value in saying "must" rather than "should".  If this is the case should
we remove osisRefWork AND osisIDWork in favor of the positional
identification of the osisIDWork and the new mechanism for declaring
reference/prefix defaults?

The text "One such element is work" does not flow from the preceding
text.

I have always objected to the following and I believe they are only a
function of this Users Manual:
*	NRSVA New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha
*	NA27 Nestle-Aland, 27th Edition of the Greek New Testament
*	KJV King James Version or Authorized Version (AV)
*	LXX Septuagint
*	MT Masoretic Text. Hebrew tradition varies in several respects,
the best known being that it numbers what is given as a title for Psalms
in most English translations as verse 1,and the beginning of the psalm
in such a translation as verse 2.
*	SamPent the Samaritan Pentateuch used a quite different
numbering system.
*	Synodal Russian
*	Vugl Vulgate
*	Loeb This system is used for most classical literature, though
many major works have other systems as well.
These should be removed (not deprecated) in favor text describing the
ReferenceSystem.???.???.??? structure discussed last month.

6 Canonical .
canonical also defaults to "true" on <verse>
and "false" on <title>

It might be worthwhile to point out that is a Bible text it is common to
have to specify <div canonical="false" type="introduction">) and <title
type="psalms" canonical="true">.

7.1. The Revision Description

Is there guidance related to how to specify the person who made the
change?  Is it the full name, initials, something else?

7.3.3 contributor
in addition there is the "encode" value for the "role" attribute.

8 TitlePage
We need a good example.
9 Basic Elements
The element
<head>1</head>
<head> is not valid here.

The chapter number is often considered a rendering issue and a
convenient practice is to encode the chapter number value as <chapter
osisID="Gen.1" n="1">.  This is particularly useful for minority
languages.

The element
<head>Mark Chapter 10</head>

It would seem more appropriate to have a BSP rather than a BCV example
in that I suspect that better than 80% of all Bible translations are BSP
oriented rather than BCV.

10 Simple paragraphing, quotes, and notes
Because almost all (NASB could be the exception case) BSP Bible texts
include overlapping hierarchies between chapter/verse and
section/paragraph it would make sense to show an example that that uses
milestones for <chapter> and <verse>.

It may be simpler to show and explain but it is more likely than not
that users will see the example and try to follow it, only to learn that
they need to use verse milestones.  Better to show a little bit harder
example than an unrealistic example.  We can still say explain all of
the details later.

11 Elements that cross other elements
People often want to object to sID and eID and simply suggest the use of
osisID.  First this is just not the way it is.  Second, there are a
number of reasons why.
1) Not all element that are milestone containers naturally have osisID
values and we don't want to force the allocation of osisIDs just to
match the start and end of milestone pairs.
2) sID and eID identify that this is a milestone and not a container.

People often want to assign meaning to the values of sID and eID.  The
value has no meaning other than to match each other.  It IS convenient
to use the osisID of the osisRef equivalent form of the osisID as the
sID and eID values because it provides natural uniqueness in most cases.

12.1.1 salute
Still think it is a disservice to the manual user to use <verse>
containers in examples.
The ONLY BCV Bibles I have seen have been public domain texts.  90% or
greater of all the texts I have seen people working on as well as Bibles
I have seen in print need to be encoded using <verse> milestones.

<salute> if <salute> is exactly on verse?  This is a very common case
and the example might be better if were the other way around.

12.1.2 signed
It is possible that the signed element would contain more than a single
verse, but <verse> is not a valid child of <signed>.

<signed> if <signed> is exactly on verse?  This is a very common case
and the example might be better if were the other way around.

12.1.3.1 Benediction
This is not valid in the schema.
Is this not a discourse marker?
Where is this coming from?
Did someone ask for this?
Was this in XSEM?

12.2 Dramatic Texts
Who cast Patrick as Job?
Is this a self commentary after the agony of writing the first 12
sections!
I am just happy to not have been cast in the role of Satan.

12.3 speaker
The osisIDs in the section are incorrect (at least the don't reflect any
normal reference system and seem to imply something incorrect).

When do we use speaker and when do we use speech?

12.4 speech
<head> is invalid.

Are the first two short "speeches" really the best examples of speeches,
in fact I would be tempted to use a <q>.

12.5 Marking up poetic material
We need to add in a discussion of <l type="unknown" subtype="start"> and
<l type="unknown" subtype="end">

We need to discussion the notion of stanzas and that a sequence of <lg>
elements in a <div> (like in a Psalm) represent individual stanzas and
that there is no need to add additional <div> container elements around
each <lg> element.

12.5.2 l
We need to address the level attribute available on <l> and expain when
it should be used and when it shouldn't as clarified in the Jan 2004
meeting.

Also address <l type="selah">

12.5.3 lb
type="wide-pref" and type="narrow-pref" are not valid in the OSIS 2.0
schema.
Did we determine that we were adding enumerated types for <lb/> in to
the OSIS 2.1 schema in the Jan 2004 meeting?

12.6.1 list
list has no enumerated type values of "ordered", "unordered", "compact",
"definition".  These should be removed from the documentation.

<figure>/<caption> together into bigger sections sections and provide
examples at the grouped level.

13.1 a
It would be worthwhile to discourage the use of this element in favor of
<reference>.  And should be strongly discouraged for use within Bible
texts due to the transient nature of URLs and the expected longevity of
Bible texts.

I think there is confusion between <index> and <reference>.  This might
be a good place to point out the difference between uses.

Althought the example uses <head> correctly because it has no context,
is the intent <title>?  In any case would a different element be better
to use?

13.3 reference
we need to provide a number of examples of use.
1.    simple reference with no body
2.    simple reference with a presentation body
3.    a reference with two or more pieces
4.    a range reference
5.    a range reference with grains
6.    a reference to a note (with the <note> showing its osisID so
people will get it)
7.    a reference to an entire work (not just a reference within a work)
8.    a reference to a non-Biblical work

13.5 catchWord
Does it make sense to make a major section in the document for notes
And group all of the special <note> element within that section.
I believe <catchWord> and <rdg> fall in that category.

13.6 divineName
There is often alot of confusion around the use of divineName.  It would
answer a number of posts to point in more detail what "the deity" is and
what is not for the less scollarly.  Why not mark all mentions of Jesus
as <divineName>, etc.?  (I am not sure I have the answer that one.)

13.8 hi
We should discourage the use of <hi> in general in favor of more
descriptive markup AND strongly discourage its use in Bible text.

13.9 seg
We need to add more examples

I don't think we need to or should say the following.  If we need to
preserve whitespace the proper mechanism is xml:space.  No special
treatment of <seg> as compared to other elements should be introduced.
Note that for this version of the schema, it is presumed that a word is
distinguished by being bounded on either side by white space.

We need to add in a discussion of the use of enumerated type attributes
on <seg> by the committee to solve pressing problems as a stop gap
measure AND that enumerated type attribute solutions with <seg> may be
transitioned to a new or existing element (with or without enumerated
type values) at a point in the future.  As a result encoders should be
warned that <seg> enumerated type values if used are likely to require a
change in the encoded text to comply with subsequent releases of the
schema AND may be occur in a single revision of the schema (may not be
deprecated, simply removed).

I am not sure we should say this!  If we do we need to add enumerated
type values for the recommended uses.  I think it would be better to not
officially state this a just wait for proper elements to handle these
cases.
In cases where subdivisions of words need to be encoded, prefixes,
suffixes, morphemes, the seg element is the correct element to be used.
It can also be used, with caution, to mark a textual feature that is not
otherwise provided for by the schema.
It should be noted that this element can only contain very small
elements and cannot contain things like verses or paragraphs.

13.10 inscription
This example would be helped by indenting formatting.
Given relative likelihood of an intersection between a <inscription> and
<foreign> should we provide an example

13.11 mentioned
The use is not crystal clear to me and may not be clear to others

13.12 name
I thought <name> also had an attribute like "who" to indicate who or
what the name "is".
Did I miss something?

Are we supposed to use one of the standard/common attributes for this
purpose?

Do we need to add something in for this purpose?

13.13 q
This may warrant its own section or at least moving to the previous
section as it is a very common element.
We need to add in discussion, guidance, and examples for the following
cases
1.    Simple short quotes
2.    Milestone quotes
3.    Continuation quotes mixed with a quote
4.    Nested quotes
5.    Quotes mixed with a speech
6.    the use of the who attribute
7.    Quotes within a commentary or similar work
8.    Scirpture quotes within a commenatary or similar work
9.    Quote of the "annotated" text in a <div annotateRef="..">
10.Use of osisRef within <q> (when to use a grain reference and when
not)
11.Guidance related to how to encode the reference at the end of a
scripture quote.  (is it a rendering issue or content)
12.Guidance related to a quote as used within things like scripture
portions.

Other things we need to add in
1.    Example of the two different ways to encode multiple reference
systems in a single document.  (Case 1: verse boundaries coincide; Case
2: verse boundaries do not coincide)
2.    Examples of grain based range references
3.    Examples annotateRef
4.    Alternant endings to Mark example (show concrete examples of the
three cases)
5.    What to do with alternant or "tentative" text.
6.    Discussion of xml:space, when and how to use.

Todd

------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C3F52E.209544E0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<link rel=3DFile-List href=3D"cid:filelist.xml@01C3F52E.1CD94E50">
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
  <o:DoNotRelyOnCSS/>
 </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
 <w:WordDocument>
  <w:View>Normal</w:View>
  <w:SpellingState>Clean</w:SpellingState>
  <w:GrammarState>Clean</w:GrammarState>
  <w:DocumentKind>DocumentEmail</w:DocumentKind>
  <w:EnvelopeVis/>
  <w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:ApplyBreakingRules/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:UseFELayout/>
  </w:Compatibility>
  <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
 </w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Wingdings;
	panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
	mso-font-charset:2;
	mso-generic-font-family:auto;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:SimSun;
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;
	mso-font-alt:\5B8B\4F53;
	mso-font-charset:134;
	mso-generic-font-family:auto;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"\@SimSun";
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;
	mso-font-charset:134;
	mso-generic-font-family:auto;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;}
h3
	{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	mso-outline-level:3;
	font-size:13.5pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	font-weight:bold;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;
	text-underline:single;}
p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;}
	{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;}
pre
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	tab-stops:45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt =
412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;}
span.SpellE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-spl-e:yes;}
span.GramE
	{mso-style-name:"";
	mso-gram-e:yes;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 77.95pt 1.0in 77.95pt;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
 /* List Definitions */
 @list l0
	{mso-list-id:14891237;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1216959030 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l1
	{mso-list-id:1353990373;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1292339278 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l1:level1
	{mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l2
	{mso-list-id:1628122855;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:648424850 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l2:level1
	{mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l3
	{mso-list-id:1805082261;
	mso-list-template-ids:1103787570;}
@list l3:level1
	{mso-level-number-format:bullet;
	mso-level-text:\F0B7;
	mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;
	mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:Symbol;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
 /* Style Definitions */=20
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
<![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'tab-interval:.5in'>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>All,<o:p></o:p></span></font>=
</b></p>

style=3D'font-size:

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:red;font-weight:bold'>I apologize for =
submitting
this after the deadline.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
my life have not gone as planned since the OSIS meeting in TX.<span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>Please accept my =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>These are comments related to sections 1-13 in the user =
manual.<span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>If you are =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>General: =
manual is focused on Bible texts.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;
may want
to provide &#8220;focus&#8221; sections in addition to the sections that =
apply
generally and the alphabetical listing of elements and =
attributes.<o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt'>Examples of &#8220;focus&#8221; =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p=

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>I think this would help people =
see the

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>If we don&#8217;t do different =
&#8220;focus&#8221;
sections it might be helpful to provide both a Bible text example AND a
non-Bible text example for each element =

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p=

OSIS is
not always followed by &quot;TM&quot;<o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>1 =

style=3D'font-size:

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Welcome to the OSIS (Open =
Scriptural
Information Standard&#8482;) User's Manual. OSIS is a set of XML =
structures
that can be used to produce Bibles, commentaries, and related texts that =
can be
easily interchanged with other users, formatted as HTML, PDF, Postscript =
or any
other desired format, and searched on any personal =

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p=

face=3D"Courier New"><span =
color=3Dblack><span style=3D'color:black'> be confused to be read that =
for
interchange that you have to format as HTML, =

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p=

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black;font-weight:bold'>2 Getting =

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black'>Is the plug for <span =
class=3DSpellE>XMetal</span>
(&#8220;</span></font>and many are difficult to use (though <span =
class=3DSpellE>XMetal</span>&#8482;
is a notable exception, and not very expensive).&#8221;) useful.<span
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black;font-weight:bold'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=

New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:black;font-weight:bold'>3 Some authoring =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>XSL-FO is

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-weight:bold'>4 Your First OSIS =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Update
the &lt;header&gt; values to reflect the OSIS 2.1 direction for =
&lt;identifier
type=3D&#8221;OSIS&#8221;&gt;, &lt;<span =
class=3DSpellE>refSystem</span>&gt;, =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-weight:bold'>5. XML and OSIS =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>xsi:schemaLocation=3D&quot;http://www.bibletec=
hnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace

be:<o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>xsi:schemaLocation=3D&quot;http://www.bibletec=
hnologies.net/2003/OSIS/namespace
http://www.bibletechnologies.net/osisCore.2.0.1.xsd&quot;<o:p></o:p></spa=
n></font></p>

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>(OR &#8230;osisCore.2.1.xsd
if we are planning this related to the OSIS 2.1 =

<pre><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp; =
class=3DSpellE>osisIDWork</span>=3D&quot;CEV&quot; <span =
class=3DSpellE>osisRefWork</span>=3D&quot;Bible&quot; <span
class=3DSpellE><span =
class=3DGramE>lang</span></span>=3D&quot;en&quot;&gt; is different from =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>In =
&#8220;The <b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>work</span></b> element that identifies the =
work being encoded should be the first <b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>work</span></b> element, if the text has more =
than one.<span
class=3DGramE>&#8221;,</span> there would be value in saying =
&#8220;must&#8221; rather than &#8220;should&#8221;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span><font
color=3Dred><span style=3D'color:red'>If this is the case should we =
<b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>remove</span></b> <span =
class=3DSpellE>osisRefWork</span> AND <span
class=3DSpellE>osisIDWork</span> in favor of the positional =
identification of the <span
class=3DSpellE>osisIDWork</span> and the new mechanism for declaring =
reference/prefix =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The text =
&#8220;One such element is <b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>work&#8221;</span></b> does not flow from the =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I have =
always objected to the following and I believe they are only a function =

<ul type=3Ddisc>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e405></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
Apocrypha <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e411></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
class=3DSpellE>Aland</span>, 27th
     Edition of the Greek New Testament <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e417></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
Version (AV) <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e423></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e429></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
Text.
     Hebrew tradition varies in several respects, the best known being =
that it
     numbers what is given as a title for Psalms in most English =
translations
     as verse 1<span class=3DGramE>,and</span> the beginning of the =
psalm in such
     a translation as verse 2. <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e435></a><span
     class=3DSpellE><b><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
     =
an>
     the Samaritan Pentateuch used a quite different numbering system. =
<o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e441></a><span
     class=3DSpellE><b><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
     =
an>
     Russian <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e447></a><span
     class=3DSpellE><b><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span
     =

     Vulgate <o:p></o:p></li>
 <li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
     mso-list:l3 level1 lfo1;tab-stops:list .5in'><a =
name=3Dd0e453></a><b><font
     size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-weight:
     literature, though many major works have other systems as well. =
<o:p></o:p></li>
</ul>

<pre><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>These should be removed (not deprecated) in =
favor text describing the <span
class=3DGramE>.???.???.???</span> <span
class=3DGramE>structure</span> discussed last =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>6 Canonical =
class=3DGramE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
to &#8220;true&#8221; on &lt;verse&gt;<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><span
class=3DGramE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
on &lt;title&gt;<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>It might =
be worthwhile to point out that is a Bible text it is common to have to =
specify &lt;div canonical=3D&#8221;false&#8221; =
type=3D&#8221;introduction&#8221;&gt;) and &lt;title =
type=3D&#8221;psalms&#8221; =
ont
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =

face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font-size:13.5pt'>7.1. The =
Revision

<pre><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Is there guidance related to how to specify =
the person who made the change?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>7.3.3 =

class=3DGramE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
&#8220;encode&#8221; value for the &#8220;role&#8221; =
attribute.<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>We need a

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

<pre><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head&gt;</span>1&lt;/head&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></font></pre=
><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; is not valid =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The =
chapter number is often considered a rendering issue and a convenient =
practice is to encode the chapter number value as &lt;chapter =
osisID=3D&#8221;Gen.1&#8221; n=3D&#8221;1&#8221;&gt;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>This is particularly useful for =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The =
element<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head&gt;</span>Mark Chapter =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; should be &lt;title&gt;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>&lt;<span
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; is ONLY valid as a child of &lt;list&gt;, =
&lt;table&gt;, &lt;head&gt; (not sure why), and &lt;<span
ont
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>It would =
seem more appropriate to have a BSP rather than a BCV example in that I =
suspect that better than 80% of all Bible translations are BSP oriented =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>10 Simple paragraphing, =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Because =
almost all (NASB could be the exception case) BSP Bible texts include =
overlapping hierarchies between chapter/verse and section/paragraph it =
would make sense to show an example that that uses milestones for =
&lt;chapter&gt; and =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>It may be =
simpler to show and explain but it is more likely than not <span
class=3DGramE>that users</span> will see the example and try to follow =
it, only to learn that they need to use verse milestones.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>Better to show a little bit =
harder example than an unrealistic example.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>We can still say explain all of =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>11 Elements that cross other =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>People =
often want to object to <span
class=3DSpellE>eID</span> and simply suggest the use of osisID. <span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>First this is just not the way =
it is.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>Second, there are a =
number of reasons why.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>1) Not =
all <span
class=3DGramE>element</span> that are milestone containers naturally =
have osisID values and we don&#8217;t want to force the allocation of =
class=3DSpellE>osisIDs</span> just to match the start and end of =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>2) <span =
class=3DSpellE><span
identify that this is a milestone and not a container. =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>People =
often want to assign meaning to the values of <span
class=3DSpellE>eID</span>.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>It IS convenient to use the =
osisID of the <span
class=3DSpellE>osisRef</span> equivalent form of the osisID as the <span
class=3DSpellE>eID</span> values because it provides natural uniqueness =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.1.1 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Still think it is =
a disservice to the manual user to use &lt;verse&gt; containers in =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The ONLY =
BCV Bibles I have seen have been public domain texts.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>90% or greater of all the texts =
I have seen people working on as well as Bibles I have seen in print =
need to be encoded using &lt;verse&gt; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; should be &lt;title&gt;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>&lt;<span
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; is ONLY valid as a child of &lt;list&gt;, =
&lt;table&gt;, &lt;head&gt; (not sure why), and &lt;<span
ont
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Are we =
sure that &lt;salute&gt; should be contained by &lt;verse&gt; or =
&lt;verse&gt; by &lt;salute&gt; if &lt;salute&gt; is exactly on =
verse?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>This is a very =
common case and the example might be better if were the other way =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.1.2 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>It is possible =
that the signed element would contain more than a single verse, but =
&lt;verse&gt; is not a valid child of =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Are we =
sure that &lt;signed&gt; should be contained by &lt;verse&gt; or =
&lt;verse&gt; by &lt;signed&gt; if &lt;signed&gt; is exactly on =
verse?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>This is a very =
common case and the example might be better if were the other way =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'> =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.1.3.1 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>This is =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Is this =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Where is =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Did =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Was this =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.2 Dramatic =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Who cast =
Patrick as Job?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Is this a =
self commentary after the agony of writing the first 12 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I am just =
happy to not have been cast in the role of =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.3 <span
 size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The <span =
class=3DSpellE>osisIDs</span> in the section are incorrect (at least the =
don&#8217;t reflect any normal reference system and seem to imply =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>When do =
we use speaker and when do we use =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.4 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>&lt;<span =
class=3DGramE>head</span>&gt; is =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Are the =
first two short &#8220;speeches&#8221; really the best examples of =
speeches, in fact I would be tempted to use a =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.5 Marking up poetic =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need =
to add in a discussion of &lt;l type=3D&#8221;unknown&#8221; =
subtype=3D&#8221;start&#8221;&gt; and &lt;l type=3D&#8221;unknown&#8221; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need =
to discussion the notion of stanzas and that a sequence of &lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>lg</span>&gt; elements in a &lt;div&gt; (like in a Psalm) =
represent individual stanzas and that there is no need to add additional =
&lt;div&gt; container elements around each &lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>lg</span>&gt; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.5.2 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need to address =
the level attribute available on &lt;l&gt; and <span
class=3DSpellE>expain</span> when it should be used and when it =
shouldn&#8217;t as clarified in the Jan 2004 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Also =
address &lt;l type=3D&#8221;<span
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.5.3 <span
class=3DGramE><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
class=3DSpellE>pref</span>&quot; and type=3D&quot;narrow-<span =
class=3DSpellE>pref</span>&quot; are not valid in the OSIS 2.0 =
schema.<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Did we =
determine that we were adding enumerated types for &lt;lb/&gt; in to the =
OSIS 2.1 schema in the Jan 2004 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>12.6.1 <span
class=3DGramE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
type values of &quot;ordered&quot;, &quot;unordered&quot;, =
&quot;compact&quot;, &quot;definition&quot;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>These should be removed from =
the documentation.<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I think =
it makes sense to group &lt;list&gt;/&lt;item&gt;, =
&lt;table&gt;/&lt;row&gt;/&lt;cell&gt;, and =
&lt;figure&gt;/&lt;caption&gt; together into bigger sections <span
class=3DSpellE>sections</span> and provide examples at the grouped =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.1 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>It would be =
worthwhile to discourage the use of this element in favor of =
&lt;reference&gt;.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span><span
class=3DGramE>And should be strongly discouraged for use within Bible =
texts due to the transient nature of URLs and the expected longevity of =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.2 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I think there is =
confusion between &lt;<span
class=3DGramE>index</span>&gt; and &lt;reference&gt;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>This might be a good place to =
point out the difference between =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
class=3DSpellE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
uses &lt;head&gt; correctly because it has no context, is the intent =
&lt;title&gt;?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>In any case =
would a different element be better to use?<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.3 <span
an
class=3DGramE><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
number of examples of use.<o:p></o:p></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>simple reference with no body<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>simple reference with a presentation =
body<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a reference with two or more =
pieces<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a range reference<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;
text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo3;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>5.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a range reference with grains<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>6.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a reference to a note (with the &lt;note&gt; showing its =
osisID so people will get it)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>7.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a reference to an entire work (not just a reference within a =
work)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l0 level1 =
lfo3;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>8.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>a reference to a non-Biblical =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.5 <span
nt
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Does it =
make sense to make a major section in the document for <span
class=3DGramE><b><span =
t></pre><pre><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>And group =
class=3DGramE>all of the</span> special &lt;note&gt; element within that =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I believe =
&lt;catchWord&gt; and &lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>rdg</span>&gt; fall in that =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.6 <span
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>There is =
often <span
class=3DSpellE>alot</span> of confusion around the use of <span =
class=3DSpellE>divineName</span>.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
&#8220;the deity&#8221; is and what is not for the less <span
class=3DSpellE>scollarly</span>.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
class=3DSpellE>divineName</span>&gt;, etc&#8230;?<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>(I am not sure I have the =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.8 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We should =
discourage the use of &lt;hi&gt; in general in favor of more descriptive =
markup AND <b><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>strongly</span></b> discourage its use in =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.9 <span
size=3D2
face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need to add =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>I don&#8217;t think we need =
to or should say the following.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>No special treatment of =
&lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>seg</span>&gt; as compared to other elements should be =
size=3D2 color=3Dred face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;color:red'>Note that for this version of the =
schema, it is presumed that a word is distinguished by being bounded on =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need =
to add in a discussion of the use of enumerated type attributes on =
&lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>seg</span>&gt; by the committee to solve pressing =
problems as a stop gap measure AND that enumerated type attribute =
solutions with &lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>seg</span>&gt; may be transitioned to a new or existing =
element (with or without enumerated type values) at a point in the =
future.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>As a result =
encoders should be warned that &lt;<span
class=3DSpellE>seg</span>&gt; enumerated type values if used are likely =
to require a change in the encoded text to comply with subsequent =
releases of the schema AND may be occur in a single revision of the =
schema (may not be deprecated, simply =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></fon=
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>I am not sure we should say =
this!<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>If we do we need to =
add enumerated type values for the recommended uses.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>I think it would be better to =
not officially state <span
class=3DGramE>this a</span> just wait for proper elements to handle =

Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:red'>In cases where subdivisions of =
words need to
be encoded, prefixes, suffixes, morphemes, the <span =
class=3DSpellE><b><span
element
to be used. It can also be used, with caution, to mark a textual feature =
that
is not otherwise provided for by the schema. =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>It should
be noted that this element can only contain very small elements and =
cannot

<pre><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.10 <span
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>This =
example would be helped by indenting =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Given =
relative likelihood of an intersection between a &lt;inscription&gt; and =
&lt;foreign&gt; should we provide an example =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.11 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>The use =
is not crystal clear to me and may not be clear to =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>13.12 =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>I thought =
&lt;name&gt; also had an attribute like &#8220;who&#8221; to indicate =
who or what the name &#8220;is&#8221;.<span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Did I =
miss something?<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Are we =
supposed to use one of the standard/common attributes for this =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>Do we =
need to add something in for this =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
class=3DGramE><b><font size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
style=3D'font-weight:
New"><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>This may warrant its own section or at least =
moving to the previous section as it is a very common =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>We need =
to add in discussion, guidance, and examples for the following =
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Simple short quotes<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:
.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo4;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Milestone quotes<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;
text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo4;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Continuation quotes mixed with a =
quote<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Nested quotes<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;
text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo4;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>5.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Quotes mixed with a speech<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>6.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>the use of the who attribute<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>7.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Quotes within a commentary or similar =
work<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>8.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR><span class=3DSpellE>Scirpture</span> quotes within a <span =
class=3DSpellE>commenatary</span> or similar =
work<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>9.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Quote of the &#8220;annotated&#8221; text in a &lt;div =
annotateRef=3D&#8221;<span
class=3DGramE>..&#8221;</span>&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:
.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 lfo4;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span =
dir=3DLTR>Use of <span class=3DSpellE>osisRef</span> within &lt;q&gt; =
(when to use a grain reference and when not)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span =
dir=3DLTR>Guidance related to how to encode the reference at the end of =
a scripture quote.<span style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp; </span>(is it =
a rendering issue or content)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l1 level1 =
lfo4;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span =
dir=3DLTR>Guidance related to a quote as used within things like =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-weight:bold'>Other things we need to add =
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 =
lfo2;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>1.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Example of the two different ways to encode multiple reference =
systems in a single document. <span =
style=3D'mso-spacerun:yes'>&nbsp;</span>(Case 1: verse boundaries =
coincide; Case 2: verse boundaries do not =
coincide)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 =
lfo2;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>2.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Examples of grain based range =
references<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 =
lfo2;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>3.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Examples annotateRef<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre =
style=3D'margin-left:
.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 lfo2;tab-stops:list .5in left =
45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt =
458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt'><![if =
!supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>4.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Alternant endings to Mark example (show concrete examples of =
the three cases)<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 =
lfo2;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>5.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>What to do with alternant or &#8220;tentative&#8221; =
text.<o:p></o:p></span></pre><pre
style=3D'margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.25in;mso-list:l2 level1 =
lfo2;tab-stops:
list .5in left 45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt =
366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt =
732.8pt'><![if !supportLists]><font
size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New"><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;mso-fareast-font-family:
"Courier New"'><span style=3D'mso-list:Ignore'>6.<font size=3D1
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span style=3D'font:7.0pt "Times New =
Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
dir=3DLTR>Discussion of <span class=3DSpellE>xml<span =
class=3DGramE>:space</span></span>, when and how to =