[osis-core] User manual bug list - 91 Lang codes

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:17:50 -0700

>93. Lang codes
>The first difficulty came in attempting to encode the required xml:lang
>attribute on the osisText element. There is no 2-letter code for this
>language. Two-letter codes for languages are inadequate for Bible
>translation use, because there are over 6,000 living languages spoken
today >on this planet. Two-letter codes are limited to 676 combinations.
Three >letters could work, albeit a bit cryptically, using SIL
Ethnologue codes. >Tok Pisin does have a perfectly good three-letter
Ethnologue code (PDG), >which I tried to insert, and that caused a
validation failure. Suggestion: >make this attribute OPTIONAL, but
require the header/work/language element, >which does allow language
type "SIL". Submitted by: Michael Paul Johnson, >mpg@eBible.org

Resolution:
We cannot change the schema for xml:lang as it is not in our namespace
and because it must be understood by XML parsers it is likely hardcoded
to reflect the current xml.xsd schema from the W3C.

The accepted practice for Ethnologue codes is xml:lang="x-SIL-PDG" and
it is valid.

Todd