[osis-core] Users Manual Bug List

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:07:33 -0700 (MST)

Patrick's Users Manual Bug List follows since he is having computer
problems.

The deadline for comments is the 15th--after which those of us who are NOT
Patrick or Steve have to live with the resolutions decided by those of us
who ARE Patrick or Steve.  (Vote early & vote often.)

1. Introduction

This is a comprehensive listing of the errors, comments and bugs that have
been submitted on the OSIS Users Manual, with their submitters and their
resolutions.

2. Versions/Editions

How to specify editions/versions (e.g. article edition "1.3.2" or "second
edition") of books/articles in OSIS? I've found nothing in OSIS 1.5.
Submitted by: Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com; http://ex-code.com)

Resolution:

3. OSIS IDs for own articles

what should be osisID for _my own_ articles? Submitted by: Victor Porton
(porton@ex-code.com; http://ex-code.com)

Resolution:

4. Email element

Please add <email> element (or attribute of <creator> element) in OSIS to
specify author's email. Submitted by: Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com;
http://ex-code.com)

Resolution:

5. newTerm

Element to mark the first time a term is used in a text, such as <hi
type="newterm"< or new element, or <seg> with appropriate attribute.
Submitted by: Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com; http://ex-code.com)

Resolution:

6. Q in transChange

I am trying to encode the following text (Matt 16:14): 14They said, "Some
<say, 'He is> John the Baptist,' but others, 'Elijah,' and others,
'Jeremiah or one of the prophets.'" In this text, <..> should translate to
<transChange type="added"> This means that I get

<verse osisID="Matt.16.14>
They said, <q>Some <transChange type="added"> say, <q
sID="Matt.16.14.q.1"/>He is</transChange> <name type="human">John the

The problem with this is that <transChange> does not allow a <q> element
to appear in it. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution: I suggested:

<verse osisID="Matt.16.14>They said, <q>Some say, <q
sID="Matt.16.14.q.1"/><transChange>He is</transChange> <name
type="human">John the Baptist</name>, but others, <name
or one of the prophets.</q></verse>

at least based on the presentation of the text in the NIV.

Followup note from Jim makes it clear that he wants <transChange> to cross
element boundaries. From my followup post to Jim:

When you say:

> I cannot milestone a transChange, and I
> cannot start a speech (or a quote) inside of a transChange.

You do not mean that the <speech> or <q> should be
contained inside the <transChange>? Correct?

In other words, what you are really looking for is for
<transChange> to become milestoneable such that you can start a
<q> or <speech> inside a <transChange>?

Taking your earlier example:

"Some <say, 'He is> John the Baptist,'

You want:

<q>Some <transChange sID="0101" type="added"/>say <q>He is<transChange
eID="0101"> John the Baptist,</q></q>

So it is <transChange> being able to cross element boundaries
(along with the appropriate content models) that is the issue?

Sorry, you're right, I missed that from the original post.

The other question will be, what advantages/disadvantages are there to the
following:

<q>Some <transChange type="added">say</transChange><q><transChange
type="added">He is</transChange> John the Baptist</q></q>

Captures the <transChange> without crossing the boundaries.

May need to look at where transChange can occur, presently:

catchWord
cell
chapter
closer
div
item
label
mentioned
rdg
salute
seg
speech
verse

Children of <transChange>

abbr
date
divineName
foreign
hi
lb
milestone
milestoneEnd
milestoneStart
name
note
reference
seg

More comments from Jim on a solution: Yes, you now have the sense of the
issue. My suggestion would be to keep <transChanges> as non-milestone
able, but to allow for a <q> milestone (and relatives) to be placed inside
of it. I would be leery of the suggestion of breakin g up the
<transChange> as you make it much harder to determine where to place the
brackets (using my scheme to mark these items) and generally any notes on
the <transChange> want to apply to the entire item.

7. UTF-8 Encoding?

Section 5: Are you only allowing UTF-8 encoding? This is implied from the
text that the first line must be copied exactly. This is not a requirement
(although is the ususal case) for XML. You could, for example, use UTF-16.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution: Changed the text in the manual.

8. Specify Reference Scheme

Section 5: There is a statement that every osisText needs to specify the
reference scheme, but none of the schemes listed are in the osisText
statement. Nor is the attribute needed to do this referencing stated.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

9. Discussion of osisRefWork

Section 5: discussion is missing on osisRefWork attribute Submitted by:
Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

10. Need reference to latter lang discussion

Section 5: discussion is missing on lang attribute (reference to later
section would be sufficent). Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

11. Date format inconsistency

Section 7.1 - The date format is inconsistant between here and section
7.5. one uses hh:mm:ss and the other uses hh.mm.ss. Also in section 7.3.4.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

12. Need example with resp attribute

Section 7.1 - Example should be using the resp attribute as
document.Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

13. Typo: osisIDRef to osisIDWork

Section 7.2 - change "osisIDRef" to "osisIDWork" in the second paragraph.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

14. What can osisRefs reference?

Section 7.2 - "can then be referred to from osisIDs or osisRefs" I would
have though that all osisIDs must be fore the current (containing) work.
osisRefs can refer to other works but not osisIDs? -------EXPLAIN------
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

15. Explain short names

Section 7.2 - Text describing short names appears to allow for astricks.
Correct discription would be "Short names consist of letters, numbers and
the underscore character." Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

16. Element order swapped in manual

Section 7.3 - contributor and creator order is swapped from schema
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

17. Attribute out of order in manual

Section 7.3 - type is out of order from schema Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

18. Language and identifier out of order

Section 7.3 - language and identifier order is swapped from
schemaSubmitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

19. List order of Elements

Section 7.3 - should have a list of the order of the elements. This should
not need to be implied from the examples - where the examples do not list
every element. Either that or the sentence "must be encoded in the order
shown here." Should be removed. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

20. Order of elements question (compare to schema)

Section 7.* - Are these suppose to be in the same order as the schema?
It's not even close. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

21. Appendix D - Retitling

Section 7.3.2 - Appendix D is titled Contributor roles, but is referenced
from the creator not the contributor section. I suggest referencing from
both locations and changing to "Creator and Contributor Roles" Submitted
by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

22. Cira dates?

Section 7.3.4 - How do I specify a date a cira? If one is looking at say,
Mark, one might say original is dated cira 0070. --- Response: 7.5 ~0070
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

23. Preference or equivalency for language declarations?

Seciton 7.3.6 - Given the number of different ways that I can specify the
language to be english, do we need to have some type of equivancy tables?
Or is there an order of preference for using the different types?
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

24. OSIS type?

Seciton 7.3.7 - If there is an OSIS type, then the legal types need to be
listed here. If there is not an OSIS type, then remove it from the
example. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

25. Define OSIS type

Section 7.3.8 - Need to define the content of type="OSIS" for identifier
so we know what to expect here. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

26. DC:description element question

Section 7.3.10 - If description is a simple content, then it is difficult
to put complex data like tables of contents into it and make it usable.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

27. typo in layout of manual

Section 7.3.14.2 - I believe this should be up a level in the heirarchy.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

28. duplicate of prior section

Section 7.3.14.3 - I believe this is a duplicate of section 7.3.7
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

29. osisRef attribute missing from example

Section 7.3.15.1 - States scope elements must have an osisRef attribute,
but this is missing in the example in section 4. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

30. Text elements in canonical order?

Section 7.3.15.1 - If the reference is in canonical order, are text
eleemnts within the actual text required to be in canonical order as well?
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

31. Where's the third date format?

Section 7.5: States there are 3 standard date formats, but only two are
listed. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

32. Years have 4 digits?

Section 7.5: Please remove requirement that years always have four digits.
The year 0039 obscures what is trying to be read. Simply stating that
years may not be abbrivated by dropping the centry is sufficent for what
you want. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

33. Example of date dropping year?

Section 7.5: Please provide a n example of a date dropping the year. Is
this 03-15 or -03-15? What is the iteraction of this with comment 28
above? Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

34. BCE (Gregorian and Julian only)

Section 7.5: Qualify the comment on BCE as refering to the Gregorian and
Julian calanders only. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

35. Weekly to daily?

Section 7.5: I suggest changing weekly to daily. Weekly would indicate a
number of 1 to 53 for me and refer to the weeks of a year. Submitted by:
Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

36. Possible error in date expression

Section 7.5: in weekly, why is it not nThh.mm.ss? Submitted by: Jim
Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

37. When is date prefix needed?

Section 7.5: no discussion exists on when the prefix tag is needed and
when it is not needed. In other locations the yearly prefix appears to be
Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

38. hh is 24 hour or 12 hour clock

Section 7.5: Is the hh in the time field based on a 24 hour clock or a 12
hour clock? Is there ever a need to make this field based on UCT (GMT)
time rather than local time? Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

39. Problem with named syntax format

Section 7.5: I have a problem with your named time syntax. What I expect
is not what is demonstrated. Issues: 1. Is the tilda character actually
allowed. 2. Are the parens necessary or just window dressing? Submitted
by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

40. titlePage not allowed inside osis (and?)

Section 8: titlePage is not allowed in the osis element according to the
schema. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

41. div after titlepage (traditional view)

Section 9: The first div element should occur after the titlepage if on
exists else the header. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

42. Remove div type (chapter)

Section 9: I would suggest removing the "ok-ness" of <div type="chapter"/>
as this makes an implementer's life harder. Use a single method of doing
things an more people get it right. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

43. Typo in example

Section 10: Verse Esth.4.13 is missing a <q> and has a ". (ends in
Esth.4.14) Verse Esth.4.16 hash both <q> and ". NOTE: This breaks the
statement that nesting is nice. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

44. Typo in example

Section 12.1.1: Example does not demonstrate the point being made. I think
you needed to add some <p> markers or get a different item. Submitted by:
Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

45. Correct example

Section 12.4: Need either <q> or <speech> for Acts.7.3 Delete " start of
Acts.7.4 speech needed for Acts.7.6 (god spoke) Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

46. typo

Section 12.7: I think yo mean to say 'simply n="24" ' since you are
dealing with a line break not a page break. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

47. Error in examples

Section 13.10: I believe that you need to separate the two examples (acts
and dan). Additionally the acts version is missing a <verse/>. Submitted
by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

48. Add examples for reference

Section 13.13: Please add text on the three types used in quotes.
(initial, medial &final) Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

49. Reference, use better example

Section 14: example using the reference does not have a /> on the end of
the reference. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

50. Presentation suggestion

Section 14.1: in the last sentence, I suggest putting quotes around the
two items since the command and trailing period are confusing to look at.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

51. Opsy, error in osisID!

Section 14.6: The example has "josephus-war:loeb:245.22" as an osisID, but
this is an illeagal id. Only one : is allowed. Should be
"josephus_war_loeb:245.22" Question: Pattern seems to only allow _ not -.
Is this correct? (hyphen is not a N or an L or a _) Submitted by: Jim
Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

52. Addition: second parameter for occurrence on s?

Section 15.1: I like the fact that s is provided, however it needs to have
a second parameter, the occurrence to find. I.e. find the 3rd occurrence
of "the" in the text. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

53. Combining ! and @ in a single reference? order?

Section 15: Can I combine both ! And @ in a single reference? If so what
is the order -- not specified. (order is : ! @ based on the schema)
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

54. Is Fred..3 a legal reference?

Schema: From the schema it appears that Fred..3 is a legal reference. I
believe you have two * in a row when you meant to have a + then a *
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

55. How does reference state a versification scheme?

Section 16: It states that a reference can state what versification scheme
is used. But this does not seem to be true based on anything that I have
seen either in the schema or in the text. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

56. Sample document is not valid.

Section 17.1.1: Based on the requirements in this section, the sample
document in section 4 is not a valid OSIS document. [Missing creator, date
in word. Missing revision element. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

57. Gen. is not valid main part of osisID

Section 21.2: Gen. is not a valid main part of an osisID. (ditto section
22.2) Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

58. prefix en?

Section 29.1.1: Where is the prefix en: suppose to be going? This is not
good to put into a work short name. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

59. Spelling and grammar errors

Just marked the corrections accepted with an asterisk on the number:
Grammer And Spelling:  -- feel free to ignore these.

1.  Section 2: "Many such program are" --> "Many such programs are"
2.  Section 3: "of this kinds is" --> "of this kind is"
3.  Seciton 6: "overidden" --> "overridden"
4.  Section 6: "judgements" --> "judgments"
5.  Section 7.2: "hypens" --> "hyphens"
6.  Section 7.2: "declaring a short name, and using it later as a prefix,
is very" (added a comma after name)
7.  Section 7.3.4:  "Date elements in the" --> "Date element in the"
There is only one element even if it occurs multiple times.
8.  Section 7.3.5:  "indentify" --> "identify"
9.  Section 7.3.5:  "one publisher, and" -- inserted a comma.\
10. Section 7.3.7:  "occcur" --> "occur"
11. Section 7.3.14: "have been prepared" --> "has been prepared"
12. Section 7.4: "The six elements already described" There is no
reference to what six elements are to be noted and there were more than
six elements just described.
13. Section 7.5: "string (include any leading underscore) is" as text is
written _~5000 seems to be legal.
14. Section 7.5: "the the" --> "the"
15. Section 7.5: "chgronological" --> "chronological"
16. Section 10: "First" --> First"
16a. Section 10: "meanining" --> "meaning"
17. Section 11: "would appears as" --> "would appear as"
18. Section 12.1.2: "For example (RSV):" --> "For example:"
19. Section 12.3: (I don't have my NRSV handy to check this one) "lilly"
-> lily" (twice)
20. Section 12.4: "repesented" --> "represented"
21. Section 12.4: "occassion" -> "occasion"
22. Section 12.5.2: "poety" -> "poetry"
23. Section 12.6.3: "imortant" -> "important"
24. Section 12.6: "dicitonary" -> "dictionary"
25. Section 12.6.1: "valuess" -> "values"
26. Section 12.7: "simpley" ---> "simply"
27. Section 12.7: "setting attribute" --> "setting the attribute"
28. Section 13.4: "chose" --> "choose"
29. Section 13.4: "diplay" -> "display"
30. Section 13.12: "divineName Different forms" --> "divineName.
Different forms"
31. Section 13.14: "lilly" --> "lily"
32. Section 13.15: "Aplified Bible" --> "Amplified Bible"
33. Section 13.16: "commets" --> "comments"
34. Section 13.17: "tranliteration" --> "transliteration"
35. Section 14: "refererence" --> "reference"
36. Section 14: "for for" --> "for"
37. Section 14.2: Either "Apostolic Fathers" or "apostolic fathers"
38. Section 17.1.1: "actualy" --> "actually"
39. Section 17.1.4: "Blble" --> "Bible"
40. Section 18: "Implementors" --> "Implementers" (twice)
41. Section 20.1: "borad" --> "broad"
42. Section 20.2.1: "mediatation" --> "meditation"
43. Section 20.2.1: "studyguide" --> "study guide"
44. Section 20.2.6.2: "this enumerations"  --> "these enumerations"
45. Section 20.2.7:  "columnMarks" --> "column Marks"
46. Section 20.2.11: "tites" --> "titles"
47. Section 21: "adventerous" --> "adventurous"
48. Section 21.3: "and other are not" --> "and others are not"  (ditto
section 22.3)
49. Section 22: "addiional" --> "additional"
50. Section 22.4: "mimimum" --> "minimum" (twice)
51. Section 22.4: "brakets" --> "brackets" (twice)
52. Seciton 22.4: "limiation" --> "limitation"
53. Section 23: "responsiblefor" --> "responsible for"
54. Section 31: "othe" --> "other"

Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

60. Removal of divTitle attribute

I am curious about the reasoning behind the removal of the divTitle
attribute. The presence of this attribute allows for fast lookup of title
information. Needing to search down for a title (and possibly
differenciating between different title elements) seems to be difficult.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

61. Single method: container or milestone?

Section 11: In the first bullet item it says that you must use a single
method in an entire text. Does this mean an osisText or an osis document?
Does this mean that one needs to go back and change all verse elements to
verse milestones the first time you insert a single verse milestone? Just
double checking. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

62. eID and sID on same element?

Section 11: Does it make sense to be able to put both an eID and an sID on
the same element? i.e. <verse osisID="Matt.5.2" sID="Matt.5.2"
eID="Matt.5.1/>? Is this considered legal? Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

63. References to genealogies

Section 12.6: Title section header lists genealogies, but the content does
not have any references to genealogies. Submitted by: Jim Schaad,
jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

64. Person to human

Section 13.12: I would suggest changing "person" to "human". As things
stand I don't know the definition of a human. Is Frodo a person or a
nonhuman. The two are not mutually exclusive. (Yes I know there is a big
argument about the question of Jesus and his humanity, but I think that
can be ignored for this purpose, although one might be able to argue that
all references to Jesus and to The Holy Spirit in John should be marked
with divineName as they are all part of the Deity. Personally I fall into
the Arian camp, but that is neither here nor there.) Submitted by: Jim
Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

65. Searches limited to scope of base references?

Section 15.1: contains an example of a paragraph with an osisRef="Matt.1.1
Matt.1.2 Matt.1.3", but this does not seem to be of reality. Based on the
text I assume that searches are limited to the scope of the base
reference. So Gen.1.1@s[Adam] will fail to resolve, while Gen.1@s[Adam]
would resolve. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

66. Parameters for extended syntax conflict in rules

Section 15.1 &Section 22.3: Are the parameters placed in (), [] or {}? Or
any of the above as long as they match. The rules in 15.1 and the examples
in 22.3 don't agree. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

67. Canonical and divs

Section 6: I believe there is a problem with canonical and the div object.
This object has a default value of false rather than true or inherit. This
means that I must set it to be true on all div objects (such as books)
that contain canonical text. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

68. Canonical ordering on elements

I think it would be worthwhile to add a section on "conical" ordering of
elements in an OSIS document. I was looking at a pargraph that was an
entire verse and an entire quote. According to my calculations the
arrangement of these three elements alone (without the problems of adding
notes, titles and other such things) is that there are 24 different
encodings to start the paragraph with. This is just too much different
ways for my poor style sheet to handle, although not a huge issue for the
programmic methods of doing display that can build and keep state while
crossing the different items. Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

69. Extraction of chapters

Possible addition for consideration: To facilitate the extraction of
chapters from the text, it would be nice to be able to add <q> and
<speech> elements at the beginning of divisions (such as chapter) in order
to have history of these elements moved forward. I would suggest tagging
them with an attribute of cID that matches the correct sID and eID.
Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

70. Getting quote marks correct

I am looking at trying to get my quote marks correct.  I believe
that the way to determine this is as follows:

A) obtain the correct root for this node - this would either be the
osisText/div or div[@type="book"] ancestor of this node.

B) obtain all q and speech nodes that are predecessors of this node,
including this node.

C) remove all q[@type="block"] nodes from the list

D) Level = count of nodes with sID - count of nodes with eID

E) Add to Level the number of speech and q nodes where @type!="block" in
the ancestor tree.

F) Emit no quote if Level== 0, " if Level==odd, ' if Level==even

IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO COMPUTE THIS?

Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

Resolution:

71. Another Bible Name

HNV Hebrew Names Version of the World English Bible, also known as the
World English Bible: Messianic Edition (WEBME) Submitted by: Michael Paul
Johnson, mpg@eBible.org

Resolution:

72. event/events to replace role/roles

To be consistent with osisCore.2.0.xsd, section 7.3.4 of the OSIS 2.0.1
User's Manual should be edited to replace "role" and "roles" with "event"
and "events". The colons should be changed to periods in the last line of
the section, since the OSIS dates use periods for separators. A suggested
sample might clarify things:

For example,
<date event="edition" type="Gregorian">1749</date>
<date event="eversion" type="Gregorian">2003-12-30</date>

It might be good to suggest that software reading OSIS texts always assume
Gregorian dates unless otherwise specified. Submitted by: Michael Paul
Johnson, mpg@eBible.org

Resolution:

73. typo

In section 7.3.7, change occcur to occur. Submitted by: Michael Paul
Johnson, mpg@eBible.org

Resolution:

74. change working on revision

In section 7.1, "change" should be changed to "revisionDesc" to be
consistent with the corresponding xsd. Submitted by: Michael Paul Johnson,
mpg@eBible.org

Resolution:

75. xml:lang inheritance

Since XML defines the inheritance of xml:lang in terms of element
containment, the value doesn't inherit onto the content of a
milestone-delimited element. This is a potential problem. We could easily
state that OSIS applications are also supposed to inherit lang through
milestone-delimited elements, but I don't see any way to specify the real
meaning of that unambiguously. If you've got several phenomena
overlapping, just whose "lang" is in effect at any given time? (Derose)

We can say in prose that you can't put xml:lang on a milestone container
but we would have to leave the attribute on the element because they are
used for both milestones and traditional XML containers. (Tillinghast)

May I suggest that for the cases where quotes are of different languages
from the XML hierarchy AND the quote container is milestones, that we
suggest that people add in <seg> elements to carry the xml:lang attribute
in conjunction with the other elements in the XML hierarchy.
(Tillinghast). Submitted by: Steve Derose, sdrose@acm.org

Resolution:

76. OSIS codes for Bible Editions

29. Standard OSIS Codes for Bible Editions All Bible Edition codes must
have the language code for the target language in question, then a colon,
then the abbreviation shown here. Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer,
osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

77. Ancient language editions

29.1. Ancient language editions Steph Stephanus GNT, 1551 Vul Latin
Vulgate, 1405 Erasmus Latin translation by Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus,
1516 Mas Masoretic text (various, ~900-1100) BHS Biblia Hebraica
Stuttgartsiensa NA Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (may suffix edition
number, such as "NA27") LXX Greek Septuagint Submitted by: Daniel
Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

78. What language code to use?

Which language code has to be used to specify the translation? IANA, IETF,
ISO-639-1, ISO-639-2, ISO-639-2-B, ISO-639-2-T, LINGUIST or SIL? What is
the language code for the "BHS"? The 'hebrew' bible contains biblical
hebrew and biblical aramaic. Is the Code for LXX "gr:LXX" or "GKO:LXX" or
"GRK:LXX"? Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

79. No language code defined

29.1.2. Non-English Modern Languages Thousands of additional languages
have Bibles or portions; most of these have only one translation in the
language. In those cases the language code as defined elsewhere in OSIS
may be used, with no following name required. Submitted by: Daniel
Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

It sure is simple to handle it that way, but what will happen, in case
someone offers another translation in this language? Then there are two
versions and you would have to find another way to give a translation type
or the first written version will block the short form. Older versions of
OSIS-texts have to be modified. I think it's better to build a type of
database of OSIS standard codes over the time with a name for every known
bible translation.

Luther       German by Martin Luther, 1534
Algonquin    Tr. John Eliot, 1662
ReinaV       Spanish Reina Valera

Resolution:

80. German Bible editions

The German translation of the bible by Luther in 1534 is "de:Luther". Is
the 1984 revision then "de:Luther1984" if there is no standard OSIS codes
for bible editions yet? So I make a recommendation for German versions
next section. Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

81. Defaults for other osisRefWork?

There is a default value for the optional osisRefWork- attribute (Bible).
Are there other given standard attributes like "comment", "lexica", "book"
or "article"? Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

82. Translations by the author?

How to mark up verses within a text that are not directly taken from a
given (published) translation, but are translated by the author of the
book or article? Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

83. OSIS Codes for German Bibles

29. Standard OSIS Codes for Bible Editions

29.1.3. German Editions (prefix "de:")

Most common editions in German language

Luther     - German by Martin Luther, 1534
Luther1912 - German by Martin Luther, unrevised edition, 1912
Luther1984 - German by Martin Luther, revised edition, 1984
ELO        - German Darby Unrevidierte Elberfelder, 1905
ELB        - German Elberfelder Bibel, revidierte Fassung, 1993
EIN        - German Einheitsübersetzung der Heiligen Schrift,
1980
Schlachter - German Schlachter Version, 1951
GN         - German Gute Nachricht
GNa        - German Gute Nachricht, with apocrypha
HFA        - German Hoffnung für alle
HFA02      - German Hoffnung für alle, revidierte Fassung, 2002
Bengel     - German Bengel NT (scope: NT)
Zink       - German by Jörg Zink, 1998
BRZ        - German by Buber-Rosenzweig (scope: OT)

Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

84. Table example

12.6.4 table
OSIS provides only very rudimentary tables: a table consists of
rows, which in turn consist of cells. Formatting and layout is
not part of the table markup; it can either be done
automatically, as in HTML browsers, or by inserting some signal
to the layout engine, such as type attributes or processing
instructions. Note that a *table* can be nested inside another
*table*. Simply start a new *table* element inside a *cell*
element.

You can specify how many rows and columns there are with the
attributes "rows" and "cols", but this is optional.
In the *head* section you give the table a title or small
description.

Example:
  <head>Demonstration</head>
  <row>
    <cell>...</cell>
    <cell>...</cell>
  </row>
  <row>
    <cell>...</cell>
    <cell>...</cell>
  </row>

A detailed example is in "12.6.6 cell" below.

Note again: OSIS provides no attributes or elements to layout the
table, rows and cells, like "width", "cellspacing" or "align" in
(X)HTML. All this has to be done by the rendering software or the
browser. Here is an example out of an XSL-file for XHTML output:

<xsl:stylesheet version = '1.0'
     xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'>

<xsl:template match="table">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="row">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="cell">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

12.6.5 row

*row* is the element that binds together a number of cells for a
line. The use is similar to the (X)HTML element <tr>.

12.6.6 cell

Due to the fact that table cells in printed publications can
contain nearly anything, nearly anything is allowed in OSIS'
*cell*s . even verses and other tables.

Example:

  <head>Settlement of the three patriarchs</head>
  <row>
    <cell>The group of</cell>
    <cell>settled nearby</cell>
    <cell>belonged to the tribe of</cell>
  </row>
  <row>
        nearby
        <name type="geographic">Hebron</name>
        (eg. <reference osisRef="Gen.18">Gen 18</reference>,
        <reference osisRef="Gen.13.18">Gen 13:18</reference> or
        <reference osisRef="Gen.14.13">Gen 14:13</reference>. And
        more in the south:
        <reference osisRef="Gen.12.9">Gen 12:9</reference> or
        <reference osisRef="Gen.13.1">Gen 13:1</reference>)
    </cell>
        <reference osisRef="Num.13">Num 13</reference>) and
later:
        <name type="x-group">Judah</name>).
    </cell>
  </row>
  <row>
        (<reference osisRef="Gen.26.23-Gen.26.33">Gen 26:23-33
         </reference>)
        and
        <name type="geographic">Beerlahairoi</name>
        in the South (<reference osisRef="Gen.24.62">Gen 24:62
         </reference>)
    </cell>
        in the South and
        <name type="x-group">Joseph</name>
        in the North
    </cell>
  </row>
  <row>
    <cell><name
type="geographic">Peni'el-Mahanaim-Succoth</name>,
        <name type="geographic">Sichem</name>
        and <name type="geographic">Bethel</name>
    </cell>
        <name type="x-group">Ephraim-Manasseh</name>
    </cell>
  </row>

This example shows the use of *table*, *row* and *cell*. You see
that in a cell you are free to use other elements from the OSIS
scheme. Here esp. *name* and *reference*.

Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

85. Figure example

12.6.7. figure Another example for <figure> showing the use of the
osisRef-attributes.

<figure src="dore1.jpg"
  alt="Woodcut by G. Dore, titled The Agony in the Garden"
  osisRef="Luke.22.43">
  <caption>The Agony in the Garden by Gustave Dore,
1855</caption>
  <index index="illustrations" index1="woodcuts" index2="Dore,
Gustave" index3="Agony"/>
  <note type="allusion">DORE, Gustave, grafic artist, painter and
       sculptor, born 1/6/1832 in Strasburg, died 1/23/1883 in
       Paris. - For over 90 books of world literature he has
       created woodcutten illustrations and is especially known
       for his illustraions of the bible. This work here is an
       example for his extraordinary talent.</note>
</figure>

A correction of the given example is in the errata block. Submitted by:
Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

86. OSISID extensions

21. osisIDs: Construction Rules &22. osisRefs: Construction Rules I
thought of another possible extension as example: Eg. Gen.18!J for the
part of the "Jahwist", E for the "Elohist", P for the "Priest" and so on.
Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

87. Links to subject catalogs

Links to the subject classification systems If authors are not librarians
or doing classifications on a regular basis they have to "learn" it (if
they want to do so). It would be helpful if there were links to websites
or books provided, where one can get information. Submitted by: Daniel
Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

88. History of core elements

History of Changes &Conversion-Tools There should be a history of changes
in the OSIS core scheme in the appendix of the manual. This ,would make it
easier to convert texts encoded with an earlier version of OSIS. It would
be nice if there were some tools for converting older OSIS-versions into
the new one, i.g. an XSLT 'program'. Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer,
osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

89. Non-Biblical text examples

The future of OSIS resp. of the manual I know this manual is only a first
draft. But I'd find it helpful for my work if soon I had access to
information on how to write articles, books, outlines etc. in OSIS. Most
of the most used bibles seem to be converted into OSIS 2.0 right now.
There was a lack of these passages already in the last draft for OSIS 1.5.
I have no bible to encode but lots of texts since I'm the webmaster of
three websites with theological articles, abstracts, original writings and
outlines. Up to now the drafts are esp. for the use of OSIS with bibles
and there only are remarks that texts other than bibles have to be encoded
"differently" - but not how to do this in a correct manner. Submitted by:
Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

90. More errata

7.3.5. publisher
The publisher element in the work element is used to indentify
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
                                                     identify

7.3.8. identifier

<identifier type="ISBN">0809617250</identifier>
<identifier type="LCCN">69-18840</identifer>
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                </identifier>

7.3.14.1. subject classification systems

BILDI Biblewissenschaftliche Literaturdokumentation Innsbruck
      ^^^^^^
      Bibelwissenschaftliche

12.5.2. l
Hebrew poety can often be divided into lines ...
       ^^^^^
       poetry

12.6. Lists, tables, genealogies, figures and other material
A dicitonary extension is well along in development, ...
  ^^^^^^^^^^
  dictionary

12.6.1. list
they can be distinguished by type attribute valuess such as
"ordered", ...
                                            ^^^^^^^
                                            values ?

12.6.7 figure
<figure src="Beckmann_1917.jpg" alt="Painting by Max Beckmann,
titled
   Christ and the Woman taken in Adultery"><caption>Christ and
   the Woman Taken in Adultery by Max Beckmann,
   1917</caption><index index="illustrations"
   index1="Beckmann, Max">
                        ^^
                        "/>
</figure>

The <index> tag has to be closed.

13.4. abbr
... the expansion attribute allows software to chose to diplay
the expansion ...
                                                        ^^^^^^
                                                        display

20.2.10. subject
BILDI Biblewissenschaftliche Literaturdokumentation Innsbruck
      ^^^^^^
      Bibelwissenschaftliche

22. osisRefs: Construction Rules
... in part because of the addiional capabilitie ...
                           ^^^^^^^^^
                           additional

22.4. Grains (optional)
Warning: ... That is to say that you cannot put a phrase between
the square brakets. That limiation is due to the handling of
spaces in XML.
           ^^^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^^
           brackets      limitation

29.1. Ancient language editions
BHS Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartsiensa
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    Stuttgartensia

Submitted by: Daniel Englbauer, osis@englbauer.de

Resolution:

91. Complete Sample Text (short)
I do not know if this would be possible, but I think it would be helpful
to users if some sample marked up code was provided.

Now I know there are whole chunks available on the website - but they are
genuine scriptures i.e. huge chunks of text for users to wade through -
which it is not always easy to find samples of what one is looking for.

What I am suggesting is either some artificially created text purely for
the purposes of being best (recommended) practice in how to mark up
scriptures and commentaries. Such text need contain only a few lines, but
these would need to embrace:-

Book (with sub title)
Chapter (with sub title)
Divisions [crossing chapter boundaries]