Alignment of parallell texts (was: Re: [osis-core] Functional Requirements)

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:19:49 -0700

Hey guys, I had Patrick sneak a 'src' attribute in on <w> a few months
back.  We're using this for our alignment of parallel texts.  Not sure
if it meets all the requirements for what others might want, but the
logic is:

To align parallel texts, the easiest way is to:

o	declare some common SOURCE text (real or just conceptual)
o	mark anchors in any text that might be aligned in parallel to sync to
the SOURCE text.

Then if you choose a base text and any aux text to be aligned to it in
parallel, all you need to do is use the common anchors to do the alignment.

We obviously chose a Greek NT for our SOURCE text, and we are in the
process of anchoring words and/or phases to the Greek on the KJV.  Once
other texts are done, even in other languages, we can align to some
acceptable epsilon (determined by the granularity of the anchors), which
is better than any other product I've seen out yet currently.

Not sure if this meets the requirement, but I can't think of a much
better solution.

	-Troy.