[osis-core] allowing "short" as a <title> type

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:37:56 -0700

Todd,

>I think there are two independent issues:
>1) Should the "short" title be encoded outside of the header?
>I don't believe that everything that is encoded should be a part of the
>"text stream".  Even if SFM files did not have a 'short' name I think it
>is still a useful practice to encode the short form of a title.  The
>values I have used in <title type='short'> are not abbreviations.  The
>short title "Matthew" is not an abbreviation for "The Gospel According
>to Matthew".  It should up the rendering process to determine how,
>where, and which title will be used (if at all).  On this basis I think
>it makes sense to add "short" to osisTitles.

I think there's a misunderstanding of the definition of "abbreviation".
Since "Matthew" in this context and "The Gospel According to Matthew"
are identical in meaning and have identical referents, taking the latter
as the full/real title of the book, "Matthew" must be an abbreviation.

Short titles and every other type of <title> element have radically
different forms of presentation.  All <titles> are realized inline
within the document stream at their point of occurrence, but short
titles occur in page corners, or title bars, or not at all.  Such a
significant difference indicates to me that short titles are not the
same as other titles.

I don't suggest encoding short titles in the header, but I also
recommend against encoding it as part of the text stream.  divTitle
satisfies this.  A shortTitle attribute added to div would also permit
keeping the short title out of the text stream and allow the divTitle to
be used for its normal purpose.  Or perhaps an element on the title
element that is being abbreviated would be better.  Consider an encoding
such as: <title type="main" shortForm="Matthew">The Gospel According to
Matthew</title>.

>2) How should "divTitle" be used and what is its meaning?
>I agree that "divTitle" would mean the title of the entire <div>.
>However, there can be more than one title that applies to the entire
>are expected to apply to the entire <div> element they follow.

divTitle is a borrowing from ThML.  It mimics the title attribute on
each of its divN elements.  This one appears to be used for automatic
TOC generation.  That's also how Sword's ThML & OSIS importers interpret
and use these attributes.  ThML encodes inline titles as <h[1-6]>
elements.  A divN title element also usually occurs as a <h[1-6]> inline
element.

I don't understand how multiple titles can apply to an entire div,
unless you are referring to subtitles.  Subtitles probably wouldn't go
in a divTitle.

>>From what you wrote below it would seem that you agree that we should
>expect that encoders would use either "divTitle" or a child <title>
>element.  It would seem difficult to explain when "divTitle" should be
>used and when a <title> element should be used.  It is possible that in
>some cases the title would be in a 'divTitle' element but in other cases
>because another title supersedes the same type of title that a <title>
>element would be used.

There's no reason to use just one or the other--using both is perfectly
reasonable.  I've encoded OSIS documents that have identical text in
divTitle and a <title> element.  Most ThML documents do the same.

All titles in the text stream should go in <title> elements.  divTitle
can contain any title that applies to the whole div, for purposes of TOC
generation or notation in page margins.

--Chris