[osis-core] One more round on osisID/osisRef!

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:34:46 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I should further clarify that we use that syntax in HTML documents to
> refer to a place in a document in our engine.  If you have click on
> that  link in your favourite browser, and our software is installed,
> it will launch our software and take you to the appropriate place.
> Same with Bob's software.  Well, theoretically, anyway.  I've been
> told it works on Windows with Internet Explorer.
>

> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
>>> Ah, but it conflicts with need to escape ":" in URI syntax (see
>>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt, nice leisure reading to print
>>> and take with you!) ;-)
>>

>> Actually, I don't think this is true.  In our software, we use:
>>
>> <a title="Jump to Passage in Sword"
>> href="sword://KJV/Mark%202%3A5">Mark 2:5</a>

 From reading the RFC I was left with the impression that what you use
is valid but:

href="sword://KJV/Mark:2" would not be. (note the second colon)

Looking back at the RFC, it appears I read too quickly because it
appears they can appear as follows:

>2.2. Reserved Characters
>
>   Many URI include components consisting of or delimited by, certain
>   special characters.  These characters are called "reserved", since
>   their usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved
>   purpose.  If the data for a URI component would conflict with the
>   reserved purpose, then the conflicting data must be escaped before
>   forming the URI.

>                    "$" | ","
>
>   The "reserved" syntax class above refers to those characters that are
>   allowed within a URI, but which may not be allowed within a
>   particular component of the generic URI syntax; they are used as
>   delimiters of the components described in Section 3.

So delimiting components with ":" would work but as part of a component not?

But as you say it is working so ....

Patrick