[osis-core] osisRef behavior/usage (not syntax)

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 04:48:34 -0400

Guys,

Well, high speed Internet over the TV! :-( Tried holding my laptop up to
the screen but the scan/OCR function on the TV must not be working. ;-)
Doing dialup, which means I am doing peek-n-post so I don't end up with
a phone bill larger than the room charges. ;-)

I will be downloading all your latest posts when I send these off and
will compose replies offline. I have ISO meetings all day from Saturday
to Monday so expect at least one peek-n-post session in the early AM and
one in the evening.

Questions on the behavior of osisRefs:

1. Should all OSIS elements allow an osisRef attribute?

then I don't know what cross-references or at what level they might be
useful for a particular text?

3. An osisRef may point inside the document, in which case it is fixed
(cannot be overidden) to use of the work declared for the document, or
it may point outside the document, in which case it can omit work
(whether specified directly or by some inheritance mechanism) but only
at its own peril, i.e., if I say osisRef="Matt.1.1", then any osisID
with any prepended work that matches "Matt.1.1" is a legitimate return
on the osisRef (may get wrong edition, version, language, possible with
apocrypha to get a null if your only version is one of the limited
editions of the Bible. ;-)

4. Users urged in prose to use a standard set of Work and reference
system references produced by OSIS to increase interoperability of their
documents.

Thoughts?