[jsword-devel] Quick question on Books.installed

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Sep 25 03:26:31 MST 2016

> On Sep 24, 2016, at 3:16 PM, Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone
>
> I'm starting to get back into developing STEP. So I have a question around the Books class.
>
> If I wanted to manually install (i.e. manually copy files to .sword and .jsword), and then wanted to refresh the list of Books, do we think it's a simple question of re-intialising the Books.instance static singleton?

I think it should be as easy as that.

> I'd like to integrate our live instance with our jenkins deployment process. So I'd like to be able to push changes dynamically (whether that's a change in data files, config, or a new module altogether).
Getting the list of Books is a very expensive operation. It wouldn’t be a good idea to use it frequently.

If there were a lightweight directory listener that’d notice when the directory changed and what those changes were (add, modify or delete) that might be something that could be useful for making the Books more dynamic. It should be optional as a tightly controlled single user system (e.g. a phone) might not want the hit.