[jsword-devel] Extending Lucene Indexes and stemming in particular

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Apr 21 11:25:02 MST 2014

On Apr 21, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Chris Burrell <christopher at burrell.me.uk> wrote:

> DM>Right now, if we use the same analyzer for search and for index construction across all fields, we can share the same indexes even if we use different index policy adapters.
> CJB> I'm not sure this is true? If BD is configured to disable headings in the policy adapter, but STEP has headings enabled in the Policy adapter, then the index will contain different content. I.e. STEP will lack headings if BD created the index. BD will not suffer, if STEP has created the index. This would then break the auto-completing aggregation aforementioned. Or am I mis-understanding something?

Not really missing anything. There are many modules without headings. Obviously STEP has to cope with not being able to search that module for headings.

Likewise, if one app wants to allow searching of headings and the index does not have that field, it behaves the same way, the index works properly and does not return a wrong answer. It merely returns no answer. The index is fully compatible between the two applications from a Lucene perspective. Not ideal, but certainly not a broken index.