[jsword-devel] Was does this mean?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 10 14:28:09 MST 2013

From memory:
On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm getting the following two types of reports in the logs, but I'm unsure what it means.
> This happens a lot, and not just this module/verse combination.
>
> INFO   - FreLSG:Act 25:1: No content to attach word to: <WG3767>.

This is a GBF module. The <WGxxxx> marker is used to attach the Greek Strong's Number to what immediately preceded it. In OSIS, <w lemma="G3767">word</w> surrounds the word it tags. This warning means that the Strong's number won't be attached to anything. It may be an error in the module or a bug in JSword.

> ERROR  - Attempt to read beyond end. offset=0 size=12 but raf.length=0

I haven't seen these for a while. This indicates that there is a logic problem in JSword when it gets a reference from an indx file to do a read in the dat file. If the size is 12 the length should be >= that.

> INFO   - FarsiOPV:Psa 34:0: Parse FarsiOPV(Psa 34:0) failed: Error on line 1: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.

Not sure. I'd have to look. Basically, JSword requires that a verse (even verse 0) be a complete valid XML fragment. We surround each verse with <div>...</div> before parsing it so that it is a single element.

> INFO   - TSK:Rev 3:4: scripRef has no passage attribute, unable to guess: (11:13; *Gr:) due to Cannot understand Gr as a chapter or verse.
This is from a THML module. In ThML a scripRef element does not have to have a passage attribute. It should but it does not have to. (The value of such is that the reference can be clear) So JSword takes the text content of the element and tries to parse it. When it cannot parse it, this is the message that is given. It really is an indication that the module needs to be updated.

> (Unfortunately, I don't have a module for this - as I'm looking at the logs retrospectively).
>
> What is a our log level policy? I usually have INFO for my own stuff and libraries close-to-home, and WARN for third party. JSword at the moment falls into INFO. What do others have it set to?

It has been rather haphazard. During development and testing it is good to see more information provided it is not overwhelming. On occasion, I get all modules and use ReadEverything to find what JSword complains about. I recently did this to find repeated common problems that can easily be fixed.

> I'm thinking some of those "INFO" should really be WARN or ERROR.

Probably. Feel free to change them. Just realize that making something more severe means that it is more likely to show.