[jsword-devel] [sword-devel] Replacement Lucene Analyzer for Japanese

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:31:20 MST 2013

I can't answer any of Chris' questions but can comment on the initial
Japanese issue.

JSword uses SmartCN Lucene Analyzer for Japanese and Chinese which works
fine on pcs, so you could say that JSword doesn't need to change anything
at all as it already supports search for Chinese and Japanese.  However,
SmartCN requires too many resources to run it on a mobile phone and will
either crash or take about ages to do anything.

And Bible replaced SmartCN with mmseg4j for Chinese searches but I don't
think (I can't read the Chinese documentation)  mmseg4j supports Japanese,
so I disabled search when displaying Japanese modules.  AB does not have a
lot of Japanese users and this is not a frequently requested function but
it would be good to extend AB support to allow Search in Japanese modules.

Ideally, as far as AB is concerned, it would be good if JSword discontinued
use of SmartCN, but that might not be possible.

Martin