[jsword-devel] Git

Douglas Campos qmx at qmx.me
Sat Mar 31 21:06:19 MST 2012

For anyone interested in trying, how to reproduce the measuring session:

# import the svn raw history (I know there are more fine-grained ways, but
# having the entire import speeds things up locally later
git svn clone -s https://crosswire.org/svn/jsword jsword
cd jsword && du -sk .git
~ 480MB

# dumb filtering
git filter-branch -f --index-filter 'git rm --cached --ignore-unmatch **/*.{exe,dmg,zip,tar.gz,war,jar}' -- --all

# to measure the savings
cd ..
git clone file://`pwd`/jsword jsword-shrinked
du -sk ./jsword-shrinked/.git
27MB

Note that I didn't split up the repos, this should be done slowly (moving jsword to git, then bibledesktop, then …… (for our sanity's sake)

The best migrations I've did were gradual, with no hurry at all.

Blessings
-- qmx