[jsword-devel] Comparing texts

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:50:39 MST 2012

Hi all

The current diffing produces some fairly strange results from time to time.
I was wondering how much work it would be to make it work for a word by
word diff, rather than letter by letter. I've a quick scan through the
diff-ing engine, but it looks fairly complicated and can't figure out how
much of this is a copy of
http://code.google.com/p/google-diff-match-patchand how much has
changed.

In the example below,

           "And God saw th*at th*e light *, that it was good : and God divid
**was good. And God separat*ed the light from the darkness          "

The new diff would hopefully not chop "that and "the"  in the first
occurrence above. It would not chop "divid" off either, but rather have
longer words, which would in turn make things slightly more readable.

(bold indicates strike through)

Chris