[jsword-devel] XSLT and enrichment of OSIS Text...

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Thu Nov 4 10:51:20 MST 2010

In terms of the interlinear, I've already implemented a version, so ripping
the CSS and HTML off should be fine. I just want to change the way I
generate this. I also had functionality to click on a word and have it
display the associated dictionary definition.

For a (bug-gy) version, see http://crosswire.org/~chrisburrell/step/ and
select the KJV, and the blue button shows the reverse interlinear work for
New Testament. It is a bit broken, and displays stuff that is not necessary
(words that were not matched), but I will reuse the HTML/CSS for that.

A couple of pros and cons:

Doing it as solution 1 (with an initial transformer annotating the XML)
sounds like we will have to iterate through the XML twice. Once to add the
information, and one to actually convert to HTML. I guess it wouldn't be too
much of a performance hit.

Solution 2 of querying java objects seems less intrusive and better
performance as we do things as we go. Since the user has control over the
XSL, and depending on the interface to Java this might be fairly fast. The
issue here as far as I could see on the net, is that methods called need to
be static. Or you can call instance methods, but only on instances created
within the XSL. So perhaps we could pass in the fact we want Internlinear
with version X and create an instance that will provide the correct data as
when required by the transformation.

Is this what you meant?

Chris