[jsword-devel] Classic and reverse interlinear?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Feb 20 08:28:23 MST 2010

On 02/20/2010 07:22 AM, Chris Burrell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering if people have had experience making interlinears
> and reverse interlinears? I'm not so fussed about the display side of
> things, but more in terms cross-referencing the original texts.
> *
> For the reverse interlinear (based on the English)*
> I've looked through the available modules in JSword, and I don't seem
> to be able to find a simple mapping for Strong -> Hebrew word in its
> hebrew form (or Greek) module.

I started to do an analysis of Strong's numbers to English words, but
the algorithm was too slow and ram intensive.
(My goal was to find obvious mistakes in the KJV mapping.)

But there is nothing else. What you have found is what there is.

>  So I'm guessing the only way will be to lookup the same text/verse,
> set of verses in the original texts in a strong-numbered version (for
> e.g. LXX for the Greek).  Can I be guaranteed that verses will have
> the same content? or would I need to widen my passage for the source
> text lookup to guarantee getting enough of the source text. For
> example, when multiple verses span one large sentence in the original.

The KJV NT has a mapping back to the original. In each of the <w> tags
there is a src attribute that give the position of the word in the TR.
You can get the OSIS at www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/kjv2006.

The mapping was done by volunteers at CrossWire as part of the Strong's
number markup of the NT. The quality of the work varies across the NT.

There is no equivalent for the OT.

The problem with Strong's numbers is that they are based on "root" word
forms rather than on actual words. It would be hard to take the root
word and find the corresponding word in the original text. It becomes
easier if the original text has Strong's numbers too. But if the number
exists more than once, the simple assumption that the words are
translated in the same order might not be true.

With the new Strong's lexicon with "accents" would be useful to show an
interlinear of root words.

> *For the classic interlinear (based on the source text)*
> Look up the hebrew/greek text and then with the selected English/other
> language, map using the strong words in the source text. I'm assuming
> there's no Hebrew ->English or Greek->English mappings
>
> I guess I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do the reverse
> interlinear than having to look up two passages and try and match them.

Not that I'm aware of.

In Him,
     DM