[jsword-devel] Idea for optimisation/improvement in iso639 lang props init

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:07:27 MST 2010

I have occasionally tried to improve the slow start-up times of And Bible &
JSword without much success.  However, one area which I have a suspicion may
take time is property file loading.

I run out of memory part way through when profiling startup but I notice
iso639.properties which has 7600 lines can take 2 seconds to load up on slow
phones.  I wonder if, instead of storing the language codes in properties
files we could use methods like Locale.getDisplayLanguage(loc) and other
Locale methods to completely remove the need for the iso639 properties
files.

What do you think?

Regards
Martin