[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Vision and Strategy

Adam Thomas adam-thomas at cox.net
Tue Mar 10 20:22:49 MST 2009

This is a great discussion, and one that we desperately needed to have
if we hope to move BibleDesktop forward. I agree, we are not going to
get 100% agreement on this list. The nature of Open Source projects is
diversity in every respect. Let's be careful to focus on important goals
as a group and not branch off too early.

If we could snap our fingers and have a completely redesigned
BibleDesktop application what would it need to do? Obviously, presenting
the Bible is a usable manner is priority one.

I agree that we should not approach the redesign with the attitude of
making this application the swiss army knife of Bible applications. The
users out of the box experience is crucial and their first impression
will be based on that experience alone. If they like what they see, they
may continue digging deeper and learn of the other features such as
powerful searching, extensibility, and customization.

I was taught that in the Web world you have approximately 5-15 seconds
to give a user what he/she wants or they will bounce to another site
that does. I don't claim to know the statistics for desktop
applications, but I have to imagine that some similar rule exists. We
need to make sure BibleDesktop impresses the user immediately with zero
configuration.

"Since neither the Kindle app nor the Kindle iPhone
is designed for reading the Bible, navigation can be frustrating."

So let's be the application that IS designed to handle Bible navigation
elegantly.

"The usability problem with non-linear content is
crucial because it indicates a deeper issue: Kindle's user experience
is dominated by the book metaphor."

Let's not be "dominated" by the book metaphor, let's simply provide it
as one way of presenting the Bible. I'll bet as a group we could come up
with at least 2 or 3 different ways that each of us read the Bible. When
I am doing my "Read the Bible in One Year" study plan I do read chapter
by chapter in a linear fashion. However, when I am in Bible Study trying
to rapidly look up scriptures, I am utilizing full-text searches,
bookmarks, and index lookups. Those are two modes that BibleDesktop
would need to satisfy my needs and I am positive that others on this
list could list different ways they use the Bible. Keep in mind those
modes have nothing to do with commentaries and other "fancy" features,
they are simply presentation or "workflow" modes of raw Bible content.

I think the electronic book idea is great. I like the idea of being able
to flip a page electronically and have a visual representation or my
relative location within a book. Sure PDFs use continuous navigation by
default and we can tell relative location by looking at the label that
says "page 11 of 44" to know where we are. However, many people like to
feel like they are reading a paper book and I am one of them. I can
assure you there are many more like me out there and is proven by the
number of people interested in electronic book format. I also have an
article from a recent IEEE magazine that discusses electronic books and
page flipping techniques. This further proves to me that someone out
there thinks it is worth doing, or at least researching.

We all have our ideas of what we want to see out of BibleDesktop as a
project. Many great ideas have been discussed on this list and I think
they are all worth investigating. However, emphasis must be placed on
the core of the application otherwise all the bells and whistles won't
make any difference.

Regards,
Adam